Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1462 08-02-2003 03:36 AM
fuji Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi guys - I have a concern (I guess we all do in this site) I did a post about my mom with her swollen tongue and throat pain - What really concerns me now is her depression because of it -I read somewhere that depression is common but obviously not good for cancer patients - I wasn't shocked by the report (depression isn't a good thing period) I'm just sad for my mom because things are not getting any better for her - She has the peg tube (Thank God!) but that is her only way of getting nutrition and meds - She had some yogurt and pasta (very few times) and is not anxious to continue eating by mouth - My dad is very encouraging and a strong influence, but no good with this one - She went 37 weeks of rad (ending late May) 2 rounds of chemo and 1 to go - I guess I thought things would be improving a little each day - She will see her doc this Monday and is going to tell him about the depression - I have no idea what is going on in her mind and can't pretend to know - I do have an idea what depression can do though - Since my mom's diagnosis I've been out of my mind (to say the least) I am in therapy (no meds) and will continue as long as necessary (most important because I am also a mom)- I'm hoping the doctor can suggest someting - I'm so sad and scared for her - Any suggestions would be appreciated - Thanks so much
Sue

#1463 08-03-2003 12:15 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Fuji,

Hi, my name is Anne and it has been awhile since I've been on the board but I am a cancer survior.

The best thing you can do for your Mom right now is talk to the doctor and get his guidance. Not everyone experiences depression, nor at the same point in time or to the same degree. I, for one, did not really experience any depression until I had been back at work for about eight to twelve months. I tried to deny it for a long time which only made matters worse. Finally I sought help about a year ago.

As it has been explained to me, being diagnosed with cancer or being the care-giver one can go through a range of emotions, denial, anger, depresssion and finally acceptance.

This September will be the third anniversary of my cancer operation and I'm happy to say, I have finally accepted.

Please let us know how your Mom makes out with her Doctor.

Take care and hang in there.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#1464 08-04-2003 02:40 AM
fuji Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Anne - I was beginning to think there wasn't a soul out there reading my post(s) - We are speaking to the doc today - I'll let you know how we make out - I'm glad to here there are survivors like you doing so well today - Keep it up and live life everyday!

Sue

#1465 08-04-2003 02:49 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Sue, I remember talking about depression on this forum. To some extent depression can be more frightening than cancer itself. I did go through a severe depression episode a few months after completing treatment. I was admitted to hospital for treatment for about a month. Both psychiatrist and medication helped a lot. I am still under anti-depressant even though I have already been back to my previous job. Take good care of your mother and yourself and be sure to tell the doctor what you observed.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23