Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

[quote=ConnieFL]John,

I had the same surgery as you and 14 lymph nodes taken out. The swelling will go down within a couple of weeks. You'll be able to eat normal in a week or so. I had a tingling through my tongue I asked my surgeon he told me it's healing. I was on pain pills for 2 weeks then switched over to tylenol over the counter.
My lymph nodes were taken also as a precaution and I'm glad I did it. You'll be talking just fine in a couple of weeks. Certain foods I couldn't eat for a while, mash potatoes were gross and so was mac and cheese, it' fine now. Spicy food was a no no for a while too, but they are fine now.

One problem I do have is scar tissue where they took out the tumor in my tongue. Now that kinda interfers with my speech, but being a fast talker I have to learn to slow down my speech. When I talk slowly my speech is fine. Talking fast the sentences run together.

Hang in there you'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

Take care,
Connie [/quote]
Thank you. I feel like this information has put the air back in my lungs

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.

Eric, i admire you so much. Even im diagnosed in early stage i just can feel like this yet. I cry lots os times. I feel spoiled, but i just dint wanted to be into this, with 29 years and on the top of my carreer. Meetings, speechs were my main activity. As time goes i cant find anyone that is a long term survival, more than 30, 40 years without any recurrence. All i read is reccurence, reccurente and stage changing.

This people stop posting here or... ?

December, 2011 - T1N0M0 SSC Oral Tongue sugery (Dec 07, 2011). Partial glossectomy, primary closure. Selective Neck dissection, all 57 nodes free. 29 at diagnosis, no risk factors at all. No smoking, drinking and HPV negative. Can you explain? I can't.

John, i was eating everything, slowly exactly 24 days after surgery.

December, 2011 - T1N0M0 SSC Oral Tongue sugery (Dec 07, 2011). Partial glossectomy, primary closure. Selective Neck dissection, all 57 nodes free. 29 at diagnosis, no risk factors at all. No smoking, drinking and HPV negative. Can you explain? I can't.
OP Offline

[quote=braziliangirl82]John, i was eating everything, slowly exactly 24 days after surgery. [/quote] I can eat but not much. It hurts too much to move the food around. I'm hoping this will subside in a week or so. So far I've been able to eat soup and applesauce and jello.

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.

Anyway you are lucky! I was with a tube for a week, after liquids and after normal life.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

braziliangirl82,
you wrote "This people stop posting here or... ?"

Yes, sometimes they stop and move on with their lives, sometimes they can't post due to cancer or being hit by a truck. It is unnerving, especially if you are young and really shouldn't have to deal with this. But you, and John, will find your stride and your way of dealing with this. And if you have a little faith, and get help with the anxiety if needed, some joy is going to sneak back into your lives. It may be some beautiful clouds in the sky, or a flower, a friend's encouragement, or the help you are able to give to others. God bless you both.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

I understand. But I still wanna meet someone T1N0M0 that never got chemo or rads that is living life without main worries. With no recurrence for 20 years! Where's this guys?
Because all blogs I read or the person dies in the end (and i cry a lot) or they are into recurrences! I really want my life and safety back! Maybe i sound crazy but im sure im not. Im just freaking and praying to be out of this, but I do will be posting here

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My cancer started with my tongue as well, as you can see in my profile. Yes, it is frightening, but mine was stage IV and I am still here after 21/2 years. Of course, I worry about recurrance, too. But I try not to get too depressed about it, even though sometimes it's hard not to be. My husband and I were in an accident this summer-our car got hit by a fire truck, and we also made it through that. I still have issues with eating, but I am happy to be alive and was blessed last spring to meet my first grandchild. Life is very precious, and I am more aware of that every day. Good luck to you. We are all here for you.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
OP Offline

[quote=zengalib]My cancer started with my tongue as well, as you can see in my profile. Yes, it is frightening, but mine was stage IV and I am still here after 21/2 years. Of course, I worry about recurrance, too. But I try not to get too depressed about it, even though sometimes it's hard not to be. My husband and I were in an accident this summer-our car got hit by a fire truck, and we also made it through that. I still have issues with eating, but I am happy to be alive and was blessed last spring to meet my first grandchild. Life is very precious, and I am more aware of that every day. Good luck to you. We are all here for you. [/quote] thank you for sharing your story with me. This forum and the people on it sharing their stories has calmed me down do much. It's amazing to me that this kind of cancer is much more common than people realize. Are you able to speak well? I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about the different stages. I didn't really have time to learn anything. From the second it was seen by a dentist I was on a roller coaster ride until now where I'm recovering from surgery.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

John, adding my welcome and support. I know it's scary. But you've got a whole pile of people here who are rooting for you and thinking about you, sending the positive thoughts!

My cancer was a bit different from yours so I'll let those more knowledgeable give you specific advice. But it sounds as though they caught it early and that your medical team is on top of it.

I would say though that having cancer is tough enough without pain and anxiety on top of it. If you're in pain, get painkillers. If you're feeling as though things are getting tough to handle, speak to your oncologist about anti-anxiety and/or depression medication.

And as you have time and energy, look around this site. The main page has links to tons of info. You'll learn all about staging in general and your specific problems.

And keep us posted. And ask us questions!

I'm glad you're alive. You're going to be for a long, long time.

Courage.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics