Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144419 01-01-2012 11:14 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Well Happy New Years to all!,

I have only been lurking around the forum these last few months and I am glas to see my old friends, and glad to see so many doing well. I am about 2.4 years post tx and all in all doing pretty good. But I have got to share with you my new years beef. I still cough almost every meal and so much food ends up in my nose. Such a pain in the $%^#$! I know it pales with the real problems that some of our brothers and sisters have but on the 1st day of this new year I just feel like ranting while I blow steak and brocolli out of my nose!

Best wishes for all of you for this next year! I will hope to see all the same names in 2013!

Steve

70 male, athlete...again
SSC of undetermined orgin , early july 09
40 tx radiation, 8 chemo cisplatin and ebuterx
finished TX in mid Sept 09
Clear at the 6 year mark!
Back to swimming, biking and running! just a tad slower
never regained my weight, even when I eat lots and lots, just a skinny guy now

Just way glad to be seeing the green side up!

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Glad to see you back, Steve! and it's wonderful that you are doing so well - - except for the broccoli and steak thing sick . Wish I could offer a solution, but maybe someone else will come along with some good ideas. All I know (5 yrs from end of son's Tx) is that it took my son a long time before he was able to manage certain kinds of food. He still does not eat stuff in small pieces - like corn kernels that come in some corn muffin recipe and he does drink a lot of water or other liquids with each meal. Best wishes for you, too in the New Year - and hopes for some lessening of the B and S prob. smile

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi try dashing your food down with water.. And time your breathing - I do it ocassionally as well - but no steak!!! smile congrats on the Ned!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

I think what is happening is that you are trying to "force" the food down your throat instead of opening your throat and letting it go there on its own. I suspect what you are eating is far too dry to comfortably find its way to your throat.

In addition, keep a BOTTLE of water with you, and after you have chewed and the food is lazily making its way down your throat, take a good belt of water. Relax your throat muscles, make sure your food has enough moisture, and follow with water. Please note there is a huge difference (for me anyway) between drinking water from a bottle vs from a glass. When I drink from a glass the water just kind of hangs around my mouth, but drinking from a bottle actually delivers the water to the exact right spot. Give it a try.

Good luck.

Donna

(And yes, what you describe is a "survivor problem" , it is still a problem worthy of attention!!)

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks! I am still trying to break the old habit of eating like a rabid dog! my new mantra...
eat slow, small bites...eat slow, small bires...ommmmmmm

Sawami steve

70 male, athlete...again

Steve, glad to see you back here but sorry about the nostril nukes. Do you think maybe your esophagus is narrowed? I had a lot of trouble with that and have like many here been dilated repeatedly, including a few weeks ago. Might be something to bring up next time you speak to one of your docs.

All the other suggestions seem logical to me!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I wish Ron would drink water with his meals it would make his food go down so much better, but he just won't do it...AND yesterday he actually ate some Prime Rib I cut up really fine. He is really eating alot of stuff he never could eat from his first surgery!! I was so happy when he was eating the prime rib I was cheering him on that he laughed...not a good idea. He always has that "last" bite of food that he can never get down and he coughs it out(he always apologizes for that I tell him no big deal)and I tell him drink some water, but never does. And he does this with no teeth too! I think it's great. I got to ask him if he gets anything up his nostrils, I've never seen it but maybe that's what's making him choke or something. another person post with an issue ends up yet helping another!
thanks

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

OK, so I have tried to eat SLOWER, small bites and it does seem to help. The water (or beer) in a bottle is a good trick too.
It is tough to break the habbit of wolfing down food.
Still adjusting to the new normal after 2.5 years!!!

Thanks for the help

Steve

70 male, athlete...again

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hey Steve - glad to hear you're doing so well! I (of course) am going to recommend you see a Speech Pathologist for assessment. When food enters the nasal cavity it's usually because the palate (roof of the mouth) is weak and isn't moving up to create a barrier between the nasal and oral cavities. The palate is a muscle so there are exercies that can be prescribed to improve this - smaller bites and fluid washes will help compensate for the weakness - but since you're an athlete - you might want to see if you can improve things with exercise!
Take good care!

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Jen, yes, good I idea. I did go to one early on and she gave me a couple of exercises to do, Honestly, I have just gotten lazy over the last 1/2 year, maybe even worn out.
But...that is no excuse, back to the exercise.
She had me suck a straw and hold a 8 x 10 sheet of paper up with it, harder than one might think!

Steve

70 male, athlete...again

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics