Next Thread
Print Thread
#140803 09-29-2011 06:35 PM
EllenB Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
Life is very busy with work and hubby's recovery. He is eating more and more, going to movies and working part time. He is just a bit discouraged that he has to nap most days or at least rest and that his throat is sore. Doc said that she needs to be patient (only out of treatment for a month and a half). I think that he is doing remarkably well but it is hard for him to put things in perspective. The sore throat persists but I think that he is eating more and talking more.

Does that sound right? How long did some of you have sore throats. He is afraid that it is permanent. He also has dry mouth most of the time. Will that subside too?
Hope you are all doing well.

EllenB

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration
EllenB #140807 09-29-2011 07:09 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Your husband has gotten thru this easier than most of us. He is a lucky, lucky man!!! For only being 6 weeks post tx, fatigue and a sore throat are very common. Gradually it will get better. He really is very fortunate. I know its annoying not seeing significant progress. It can take a full 2 years for a complete recovery. Usually its one month for every week of radiation. The dry mouth will get better with time too. Maybe it would help your husband to keep a journal and compare his progress week by week or month by month.

Best wishes for continued improvements!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hey Ellen - he needs to be patient - I speak from experience as one who recovered blessedly quickly but of course - not quickly enough!!!! He just wants to be ALL better and that takes time.

Sore throat and fatigue will resolve over time - I went back to work about 6 weeks post treatment too and there were some weeks that I'd just barely make it to Friday - come home, fall asleep at 4 in the afternoon and not wake until almost noon Saturday! I pushed it in my earnestness to be well. The sore throat took a little while and was dependent upon how much I talked at work. Today, 8 months since my last treatment, I gave a 4 hour long presentation to a group of 50 people (no microphone, no dry mouth, no sore throat) and then came home and went for an 8 mile run! I'm bragging because I remember the tired sack on the couch that I used to be. A few months ago I bought myself a silver pendant that has the word "patience" on it and now wear it every day - it's a constant reminder that I need as I work through this new reality.
Yous husband needs to be good to himself, go easy, recognize and appreciate how far he's already come and know that he's on the path to wellness! Now I miss those naps!

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!
Jenslp #140880 09-30-2011 07:36 PM
EllenB Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Christine and Jennifer.As we ate dinner out tonight (so blessed that he can do that already) I tried to explain that he needs to think about how he felt a couple of months ago and how far he has come. He forgets that each stage is not the permanent condition. He will feel less fatigue and less soreness but it does take time. I try to get him to think about each step that he has taken and how awful we thought it would be. We were so pleasantly surprised. I do think that he is developing some lymphedema. His face was a bit puffy this AM. It seems to have gone down but it is something that we have to watch. Thank you for your inspirational words. Wow Jennifer a 4 hour presentation, you are the bomb!!!!!!

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260