Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Had my left tonsil removed and modified radical neck on 12/20/02. I just started radiation last week. So far not to bad, but the amophostine/Ethol/is what I would like to hear from others about. I am sure I have more questions but I just want to hear from someone else. I am 50yr old female, never smoked, no alcohol, pediatric nurse! I would love to hear from someone. K

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Welcome to the board Kathy. My husband has tonsil SSC two and half years ago. He was stage IV when diagnosed, went through six weeks of radiation with amifostine and is doing great today. So, hang in there. It will get rough, but you can make it through. The amifostine made him nauseated, but he handled it with the help of compazine and then zofran toward the end. He never had to miss an amifostine treatment, although I understand many people have a very hard time with it. My husband was 37 when diagnosed and had never smoked and rarely drinks. None of the risk factors, but he got it. Please feel free to ask any questions that you have. I know it is a very stressful, trying time and this board is filled with wonderfully caring, knowledgeable people. I'll keep you in my prayers. Julie

Julie
Wife to Kelly
SSC tonsil Stage IV
July 2000
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Kathy, you are certainly not alone here. Like you I never smoked or drank in all my life. No family history and had a very healthy life and family. I was diagnosed with tonsil (also left) cancer stage 4 in 2001. I finished the treatment a year ago and have returned to my previous job as a teacher for seven months. Of course there are life long side effects you have to endure as a price to give in exchange for your life. Raise any questions you can think of and you will certainly find people here very encouraging and supportive.
Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
WZ Offline

Kathy,

Welcome to the board. I am also diagnosed with left tonsil cancer (Aug 2002). I had surgery in Aug. 2002 followed by 33 round of radiaition and weekly chemo.

Since the tissue in my throat healed very slowly after radiation, I was sent to have hyperbaric oxygen treatment early this month, it helped tremendously. The radiation is tough but just like everybody else, we can get through.

WZ

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kathy,

Welcome to the board...I'm a SCC of left tonsil with neck and liver mets...Seems as if the left tonsil doesn't work real well for a lot of people.

I can't answer your questions about the drugs you are receiving because I didn't get any before radiation. If you do a search on this site - there are some past discussions about these same drugs.

Any questions about radition or chemo there are many of us here that will be more than happy to answer as best we can. Good luck.

Dinah

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Kathy:
Welcome to the site, I was diagnosed with laryngeal cancer, stage 1, tumor was size was a 2, and had 40 radiation treatments only. Along with Ethyol to protect my saliva glands. I also was prescribed, and still take salegen. The Ethyol was given by injection instead of IV, to prevent severe nausea, and it worked well. I still have about half the saliva I use to, but I am lucky enough to still have it. I really believe that without the Ethyol I would not have as much as I do. My treatments were completed approximately 6 months ago. I am cancer free since the end of my treatment. A positive attitude goes a long way.

Mike D.

Diagnosed 06/2002, w/Laryngeal cancer, 1st Stage

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Kathy,
I had 37 radiation treatments 5 years ago ending in November. I had no chemo. I took Salagen 3 to 4 times a day during treament and for a few years afterwards. Other drug did not exist at the time of my radiation. I have a good deal of saliva, but it is thicker than before. Part of that problem was caused by the unnecessary removal of my right submandible saliva glands.

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Welcome Kathy,
Welcome to the Message Board. I would love to offer you support.
I can't answer your questions about meds with Radiation treatment. I was diagnosed with Oral Cancer October 2002. I had a partial glossectomy,a neck disection November 2002,and had my thyroid removed Jan. 2003 because I was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
I do not smoke and drink very very little. I was a health food fanatic. I walked atleast 2 miles every day.
I am doing well now.
Oral Cancer is a challenge that I am sure you will have the strength to deal with.
Rosalie
Stage 1 Oral Cancer

Rosalie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37