Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Thanks for the retraction, Karen. Understood: Alex is NOT a crap golfer, and he has three balls. Glad we cleared that up. Oh, and LPC is a cat, not a kitty. Cheryl, I understand your thoughts on Golf. I have similar feelings about football - bunches of grown men piling on top of each other over an odd shape ball?!! They can't decide which end of the field the ball goes - and patting each other on the butt? At least golf is a lot safer and the balls are smaller.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Karen, I had a good laugh about your retraction. Sorry for referring to LPC as the kitty. Alex, way to go on being such a wonderful golfer!!!! Im sure Karen is very proud of your accomplishments smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Golf...as a contact sport guy I'll never get into it although I can appreciate the skill involved in playing. Football on the other hand is just as much strategy as it is physical, in my opinion its very much like war.

To me there are only two seasons in the year, football season and not football season. To keep myself occupied during the off season I really have to get into mma or boxing as nothing else fills the void.

Anyway I'm glad Alex is feeling good.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Golf, Football, I'm for whatever helps one to heal from the war on cancer, so good for you, Alex!!
Eric, - of course you are right about the strategy of football being very much like war. I don't know much about the game, except for watching some college football, before retiring from the Univ of TN where Peyton Manning was a Quarterback in the football program, and seeing what a brilliant strategist and all round good guy he was and still is! It does take strategy, and courage and strength to fight the war on cancer, too - all qualities I see over and over in our survivors and caregivers. And for those who may look at others' interest in Football (or whatever other sport) and call them "Fanatics" it may be well to remember that the definition of a Fanatic is just someone who is awfully interested in something that you're not.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Hi Karen,

It looks like this thread has a taken a turn but I still want to answer your initial question:) You did get great advice from great people already though.

I am a huge advocate of therapy and medication if needed. I took Lexapro. It took about 4-6 weeks to really kick in and was the only one I ever tried. I think I was lucky in that respect. It was also easy to ween off of which I think is huge because I hate that process.

Everyone is different and I feel men may shy away from actually going to see a therapist more than women (sorry for the comment men, I know it doesn't apply to all) but it was HUGE for me. Finding the right person can be as hard as the right medication so you can't give up. The first therapist I saw was horrible for me. The second was awesome and I cried the entire first hour!! Man did I feel good!! It's just nice to talk to someone about how your feeling, what you're thinking etc. I don't know what makes it so different from talking to family but it is. My theraoist was also able to give me great advice of how to put things in perspective and that's ok and good to be sad and cry. We have to feel those scary feelings.

I think most people are scared to die or at least how they are going to die. When you have cancer you think you know how your life will end you just don't when. That is scary....

Hope to hear more good stories about Alex's golf!! And hope to hear he starts feeling better soon.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
klo Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I've said it before, but it so nice when a thread deviates slightly towards the lighter side of life and I really get a giggle.

However, Suzanne, thanks for bringing us back on track and this might be a good time to update. Like magic, Alex is heading back towards his old self. The drug he is taking is Avanza(mirtazapine)which is a tetracyclic antidepressant if that means anything to anyone. I am still trying to get the time to research the whole depression thing and so far have not really got far enough into it to feel like I know what is going on. It's on the list though.

Also on the list is a full blood work up with TSH and testosterone levels included which might also give us some pointers. I think that is to be done this week or next. Alex has the paperwork, just needs to get around to it.

A counsellor is still not an option - especially now Alex feels so good, I have no chance of getting him anywhere near an "ologist" anything. At the moment, I am not so concerned though.

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

I agree....humor is 100% needed!!

I can't say I blame him for being tired of doctors...I can relate. And, if he's going good then no need to rock the boat. I know caregivers certainly go to therapy also. Lord knows you need help dealing with us patients!!

So happy to check in and see some good news:)

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users