Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

We had that when we said that I was pregnant. "Is it wise with your.... condition... er the cancer thing?". Well maybe, maybe not! It really annoyed me that people should put a downer on such a happy event. I know there is a risk it will come back but Martin is a cancer survivor and we will cross that step if it comes.
But we didn't think we could have a baby and then miraculously I got pregnant and now we have Alice Rose. And to be honest now that she is here, she takes the focus away from the cancer. She's a little miracle. We keep positive that it's gone. Our consultant genuinely seemed pleased for us and he said another year and he will be very pleased. He said 3 years cancer free is very good, 4 years excellent. And people now focus on Alice Rose and not the fact that Martin had cancer. That's good, but I know where you are coming from.

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Wendy.

I just lost my mom on 5/4/11. I was mom's primary CG, I was the one who most often heard the comments/suggestions/concerns.... it really was unnerving. I was also witness to the way people interacted around her; not only strangers but friends...friends who thought their advice needed to be shared/heard. My mom was paralyzed with fear at times after talking to a well meaning person. I used to just about break my neck, hurling my body over dogs, cat, people to answer the phone before mom did. Looking back, I was unbelieveable at times; I wouldn't allow certain people over for a visit, and if they called too many times, I would block their calls. These people would tell my mom horror stories, what to watch out for, assess her 'healing', gasp when she would have to clear her trach, you get the picture. It reached the point where after all that fight to live, mom was afraid to live. I began to resent people more than I care to admit. Finally, one day mom and I talked and she told me that she was afraid. I reminded her of all that she had already accomplished, she owned her own life, it was hers to live as she pleased. She perked up some after that, but the pain was always present. My mom kind of morphed into independence along the way. Once she finally took back her life, she started going out more, began to be a bit more social, more like herself. She was enjoying herself. Tell those well-meaning folks to clam up, when you need advice, you'll gladly think of them (yeah right). You are so right, he has earned the right, so have you! Enjoy life!

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.

By the way, the cancer never came back. My mom died from a massive stroke and heart attack. The beast didn't claim her!

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
WendyG Offline OP
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Donna, I'm so glad your mum won against the beast. Mentally it can take so much away from you, even as a carer. I hate to think what it is like for the patient. I'm glad your mum owned her life. To me that's what I've learnt from this. We are about to move 2200km away from our family next week. This is all so we can reclaim our life and own it. Don't know if it's the right thing to do but will never know if we don't give it a try. This is where we lived before Steve got sick. Steve needs to be confident and independant again. I know here where we are now, he won't be. But back in north queensland he feels alive and that's the best way to feel to be able to start to reclaim life. Most people that say things only ever say it out of love in our case and they don't realise the impact their words have I'm sure. Although some just don't understand and sadly they have never tried to understand. But what can you do. As long as I can filter what gets said we'll get by smile

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.

Good luck on your move! A change of atmosphere can make a great difference.

Donna

Does anyone understand why people even pass along negative stories to survivors? Isn't it common sense to make positive and upbeat statements? I would never say to anyone that my uncle, brother, mother, etc. died from this or that disease. I too like to talk about the amazing strides cancer treatment has made in the past decade or 2 - give people HOPE because as Donnarose said, it is easy for us to get "paralyzed with fear" over horror stories that well-intentioned but uninformed folks relate to us. Be as buoyant as possible so the survivors and close family members don't sink.

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Down with Downers, I say. Sometimes it can be difficult to prepare for them ahead of time in order to have a snappy comeback. The worst I heard was when my son was recovering between surgery and radiation. We were at the SS office, where he was applying for Disability. He was out of a job, no health insurance, in the middle of divorce and the lady at the SS office had been interviewing both of us for hours already. Paul was sitting there, weak, tired, with drainage tubes hanging down both sides of his neck and we were both wishing for the torture to end, when the interviewer lady looked at Paul and then turned to me and asked, "Is his condition terminal?" I was completely shocked at her insensitivity. But I guess we showed her! He's cancer free now, got a great job, super sweet new lady in his life and doing fine almost five years later. Needless to say, that SS lady is not on my list of favorite people.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Steve is a survivor not a victim anymore. If you have to be rude to some idiots, go for it. Then ask what happened to them to make them such dingbats. Usually you won't hear much of an answer come back and maybe not them either.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

"Does anyone understand why people even pass along negative stories to survivors? Isn't it common sense to make positive and upbeat statements? "
I think that (some) people are likely to repeat their most recent experience with cancer. If its an upbeat story, you get that. If not - you may get that, too. It has been my experience that common sense is not all that common.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

Anne-Marie, I canNOT believe that woman at the SS office said that! To add insult, she asked YOU as if your son wasn't there or able to understand! Yes, Maria, "common sense is not all that common".

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics