Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135856 06-27-2011 02:24 PM
Eileen Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Hi guys,

Well, here I go again. August 15th would have been my 10th anniversary of being cancer free from the second bout of oral cancer and I�m not going to get to celebrate it. I have just been diagnosed with a Stage I squamous cell lesion of 1.5 cm on the left hypo pharynx. The full body PET/CT and MRI show no mets which is good.

Since I have already had a full course of radiation, the tumor board is recommending surgery to remove this from my neck. It is unfortunately too close to the carotid artery for them to be able to remove it with the DaVinci Robot so they will have to cut me open. I will look like I went through a guillotine. They will most likely need to remove an artery from my arm to repair my throat and then a piece of skin from my thigh to repair my arm.

Surgery is scheduled for July 6 early am at HUP (U of Penn) and is expected to take 10 hours, same surgeon as before so I have confidence. I will be in ICU initially and in hospital 5-7 days. I will have a nasal feeding tube until the neck heals and the swelling goes down and I am able to eat � at least two weeks. I will not be able to talk until the swelling goes down � hopefully before two weeks. Current plan is for me to be sent home with home health care and my sister will take care of me for the first week. I will have to see how I feel after this surgery to see if that plan will work. I am expected to be out on disability for 8 weeks. I have no family or firends nearby so uill be doing this alone which is rather scary.

Any of you who have had similar surgery, please tell me what to expect from the arm and the leg. Will it be painful and for how long? Anything you can tell me about it will help.

All I wanted for this summer was to go to the beach and relax. I can�t believe this is happening to me again.

Take care,
Eileen

P.S. the report said this one is 70% P-16 positive, does that mean I'm HPV positive?

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I answered your PM but a recent study has concluded that P-16 positive does not mean that you would also test positive for HPV but it does seem to indicate that your survival chances are the same as if you would. So one could be P-16+ and HPV- or P-16+ and HPV+ and respond to Tx similarily.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Eileen

I am so very sorry to read that you have been diagnosed with OC yet again. To hear that you have to go through this alone breaks my heart but you know that you can always rely on your OCF family for support. I have been through OC 3 times in a space of a few months and all I say is that it sucks but I am fighting it with all that I have. You have beaten this disease before and you will again Eileen..wishing you all the very best for the upcoming surgery. Sending you prayers and lots of hugs x

Liza

SCC of the Buccal Mucosa (R cheek)- T1N0M0.10 hour Surgery on 27/9/10 involving resection with freeflap from radial forearm..clear margins. Neck dissection..negative nodes.Trachy, NGT, no rad or chemo needed at the time. Neck lump positive for SCC..again! MND 14/2/11. Waiting to have chemo and rads
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I'm sorry this is happening to you - thankfully they caught it early - though three times OC and one dance with breast cancer is a bit much! I haven't had the same surgery but I have had the same graft sites. I'm not sure if they are taking skin too or just the artery - if it's just the artery it's not bad - if there's skin too - which it sounds like it might be since they wouldnt be removing skin from the leg otherwise. That's a little more involved - but not horrible - the wrist will be sore for a few weeks - and there will be staples in it to hold it in place - they put me in a cast for 10 days then it was Wrapped in gauze - it was tender for a few weeks and you need to put cream on it so the new skin softens up ( once you can go without a bandage) its ugly but not super painful. The leg is just irritating it's like they took a potato peeler and shaved off layers of skin to cover the arm mess. They generally keep it covered for 8 days then remove the dressing it's scabby like road rash but not bad. They stapled the dressing to my leg - that totally peeved me off! As if I didn't already have enough holes in me!

There's a picture of my wrist on my Facebook page so feel free to friend me and take a look. You'll get through this everyone here will be here to help you - take care!!

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Eileen, I am so sorry!!!!!! Its certainly a terrible feeling when you have a recurrence! I wish you all the best with your surgery.

I had a mandibulectomy which took a large piece of my arm muscle, artery and also 3 leg graphs. Not sure if its different between hospitals or between how things are done in the US vs Canada. My arm has a scar that is about 3" wide by 5" long. I had 40 staples in it which hurt like heck! No cast, it was covered with a cool hydrogel type thing then covered with gauze. It was covered for about 3 months.

The graph sites on my legs are what Cheryl described. It was like they took a thin top layer off and used it to help with my arm wound and also on my cheek/neck area. Those were covered with the hydrogel stuff then tegaderm. My visiting nurse would change the dressings every other day. The leg wounds were kept covered for about 3 months too. I cant say which area was the worst, all were very tender and painful.

Overall I was in pretty bad shape from the mandibulectomy, maybe thats why I had all the wounds covered for so long. Even after the 2 month hospital stay, I was sent home when I was still very fragile and weak. The mandibulectomy is a different surgery than what you will be having. So I am hoping what you will go thru will not be anything even close to what I went thru.

Best wishes with everything you are facing!!!! May you have a speedy recovery and no more recurrences.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

You are such a great source of information and inspiration Eileen. I will be thinking about you and know you will soon use this new development to help the rest of us. I so wish I were closer, would love to meet you. Take care and keep dreaming about that beach--you'll be sitting there soon!

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
6/10 Ttl Gloss Lrngectmy L Mndbltmy 5+ Nodes
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets
2/11 Clin Tr Erb Carb 5FU last 5/11
7/11 Tumor growth began wkly Bleo, Taxol, Carbo
10/28/11 Hospice; Passed 11/7/11
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Eileen,

I am so sorry that you have to go through this again. You go along making adjustments here and there to accommodate the changes thrust upon you. And then you decide that, okay, this is how it will be-- Boom--you get slapped with a new insult. When I look up the word "resilient" in the dictionary, I see your name.

You have the BEST surgeon for this. Of course, I am biased. You will be in very good hands, and in a very good place.

The beach will be there waiting for you when you are ready to venture out again. Hang in there, Eileen. You are going to do fine.

My best to you-
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Hi Eileen,

Life certainly is unfair and you have been given more challenges than most people, and you certainly deserve a break. I�m so sorry you have to go through this again.

I will keep you in my prayers that the surgery goes as planned and that your recovery is swift. I would still plan on heading to the beach sometime this year � definitely will help with healing your mind and morale!

All the best to you. Please keep us posted.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Yes speaking of which... I got out of the hospital... 10 days post op... Booked a flight for me and the family to an all inclusive in Mexico, was on a plane a week later, and laying on the beach! It's a great place to recover especially if there is room service and someone else doing the cooking!!! Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Eileen Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the support guys. I'm going to need it. I'm pretty much alone on this while in hospital. Both my sister and cousin are on vacation. Sister will help for week after I get out and Charlie's sister has volunteered to come down from Massachusetts to help after that. Now my 18 year old kitty is getting sick again. I do not need this now.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507