Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sjones Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I haven't had time to get back into these forums until now. My name is Sheila and I had surgery last month. I had a partial palatectomy and neck dissection (3 nodes removed).

I will be starting radiation this week and am concerned about how this will affect the funtionality of my obturator.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced radiation with an obturator. How will I handle the obturator if my mouth gets sore after radiation? Will this be an everyday problem?
Does anyone know of pain medications that are recommended to ease the side effects of radiation?

Operated on 5/11/11. Removal of the partid salavary gland on left side. Removal of soft and hard palate and 3 teeth. Removal of 3 lymph nodes on left side.
Radiation from 7/5/11-8/18/11 (33 treatments)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, Sheila -

My own experience with this was actually pretty positive. I, too, had a partial palatectomy and wear an obturator. I really didn't encounter any problems with inserting or taking out the obturator during my radiation treatment, even with mouth sores. The sores were really not in the area where the obturator sat, so they didn't get in the way. I dealt with the sores with medication (percocet) and with a topical gel that I could apply when needed (I forget the name...Lidocaine, maybe?).

So, I think you should be okay with the obturator and radiation. Does your obturator fit well now? is it easy to put in and take out? Where is your radiation being directed, primarily? (I assume the palate...) Just be prepared with lots of smoothie recipes and Boost or Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC so that you can drink your nutrition if your sores get bad. I still have a smoothie daily; my comfort food!

Feel free to write back with any questions at all -- there are several of us now on here who have obturators and we're happy to answer any questions you might have!

Good luck with your radiation; I'll be thinking about you in the weeks to come.

Chrissy

Stage 2 SCC upper right palate
Hemi-palatectomy and maxillectomy 5/28/09
Six teeth gone
IMRT x30 starts July 13. Completed 8/26/09
Carboplatin and Taxol x6 starting 7/14/09. Completed 8/25/09.

Sheila,

I was able to wear the obturator throughout my radiation. I did have a lot of pain and was given a prescription for a "magic mouth wash", it was actually a thick gel that would numb my mouth and give me a little relief, but it didn't last too long. I found the worse pain was putting the obturator in in the morning. Once it was in, the pain would subside some. Milkshakes became my mainstay, they felt wonderful. I had to avoid anything with tomatoe or citrus or it would burn! Just remember you will make it and we are here pulling for you!

Sharon

Sharon, 57; Hard Palate; T1, High Grade, DX 6-12-09, Surgery, maxillectomy 7-14-09, 33 RT (9-2-09 to 10-19-09); Prothesis (obturator). None smoker, non drinker.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics