Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
consue Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi: I had squamous cell on the left side of my tongue, stage one. After surgery it was decided that I should have radiation as the lab reported that the cells were very close to the margin of the removed tumor. Radiation was also done to the lymp nodes. I was unable to taste or eat for quite a while and lost about 60 lbs. I was fortunate through in that I did not miss a day of work during the weeks of radiation. I never smoked but was a social beer drinker. It has been about two years since the surgery and I have had a few scares with a sore on my tongue but so far I am fine. I have very dry mounth but the biotine gum, toothpaste and mouthwash help. My teeth are doing fine so far but I make regular trips to the dentist and use a special flouride toothpaste daily. I see the Dr. that did the surgery on a regular basis and he looks down my throat with a tube often, I have also had one chest x ray done. The oncologist that my managed care sent me to told me that I did not need to see him as I was not having chemo. I have not had a oncologist for two years, I think I should be seeing one. I cannot wear lipstick because of my dry mouth ( any suggestions ). I would like to hear from others who have had similiar experiences and find out how you are following up. The 50% survival rate I read about is scary. Please let me hear from you. Consue

consue
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to the world of survivorship....always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Statistics can be scary, but remember that statistics can be interpreted in many ways. Some things you might think about: The population of people from whom the statistics are drawn include many older individuals. The are more frail and it is harder for someone in their 70's for instance, to beat things than a physically stronger 40 year old. There is the issue of your immune system which becomes progressively more incompetent as you age. People in those statistics (75% of them) smoked most of their lives, and have a worse go of survival than others who did not smoke. You didn't mention your age, or overall health, so what I have said may not be completely applicable. So if you think about yourself in relationship to the population of people in the statistical analysis, perhaps you have a much better chance of being in the group that is still on this side of the grass after five years. Don't get caught up in the numbers. You are a living, unique, biological entity, not the sum of a bunch of numbers. Even if you were on the bad side of all this, (late diagnosis and high staging, very old, other systemic diseases, etc.) I know many in that group that have beaten the statistics.......

For all of us the challange is to put our brush with this killer in perspective, and try to live normal full lives, free from anxiety and worry. By the way, a qualified ENT should be able to handle your exams, and an oncologist may not be necessary. Just get the proper battery of tests every year, and have them read by competent people.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
consue Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for a reply so quickly. I am 63 years old, was 61 at time of discovery. I was and am otherwise excellent health. I take a lot of vitamins but being in the health field business I see so many Drs. who just don't seem to take an interest. I feel better when you mentioned the ENT as a good follow up, he seems to have the most interest in my progress. I would certainly like to have a beer or two on a Fri. with the girls after work, the ENT tells me one or two a week would not hurt but the secondhand smoke would probably not be good. Any information/ experience or knowledge on this? Of cource a beer or two certainly is not worth a chance on a reoccurance!! Thanks again. Consue

consue

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics