Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Seth! It cant be from old age-you are only 43!!!

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

OK, I probably should know what "MJ" is, but I don't and would like to know so I can let my husband know since they seem to help with the neck cramps. Any desciption of them?

Thanks.

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!

Barbara: Maybe some things shouldn't be abbreviated.... the references to "MJ" are for marijuana.... for many years medical marijuana has been said to help cancer patients with nausea related to chemo.... but it has other helpful benefits as well for chronic pain. Some forward-thing states have legalized medical marijuana....don't know about where you are.

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.

Thanks, I did know that MJ was an abbreviation for marijuana and do know it is used for pain relief, appetite etc. with cancer patients just didn't think of it in terms of neck cramps. My husband was on marinol while in treatment, but his oncologist said very clearly the realy stuff is the best stuff. Defnitely not legal here in Mississippi or in AL where his oncologist is located. I just was thinking it was some other type of exercise he ought to be doing. Thanks again.

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

One reason I use the MJ abbreviation is that there are almost always "spiders" on online forums (there are 2 right now on OCF) and I'm sensitive to the concerns raised by Gary in another post that OCF can't be advocating using something that is illegal (and the Federal gov't insists even medical MJ in a state violates federal law). Using an abbreviation substantially lowers the number of links in google searches etc so things don't get taken out of context.
Brian has been very good in letting EricS and I express our personal opinions on MJ and share what has been effective pain relief for us both and one that is non narcotic and has no known overdose. There is a reason why every state that has approved medical marijuana, even the most conservative list cancer as a valid reason to use it. Lawmakers know from personal experience with their own families and parents what a blessing MJ is for many cancer patients.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I have frequent neck muscle spasms on my left side. The odd thing is that the only time it happens is when I yawn.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.

It happened to me a LOT after treatment and I still get neck spasms (which can be quite severe at times). Tried PT - nada.

Yawning used to be quite a painful task but not so much anymore.

A small price to pay for survival.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I can get a neck spasm with my head laying on a pillow. It can be 100X worse if I am in contorted positions like welding, working under my car or painting the house. None of the meds I tried really worked other than temporarily and the Valium actually made it worse after a day or 2. I still have Valium and take one before bed (per prescription) and that seems to work pretty well and I get a better nights sleep. I haven't renewed my Codiene prescription for many months as it hasn't been a necessity - but for a while there I really needed it (I take it like aspirin - only as required -30 pills typically lasts me for 6 months).

I would imagine that when I start putting my WWII, 1942, MB jeep back together, I will need it.

Sometimes I'll have a spasm while I am performing (I am also a musician) and that can be a pain (no pun intended) especially if I'm singing the lead vocal (I also play the bass). But then again, I never thought I would be able to do ANY of those things ever again, so every gig is a gift and I'll live with the pain.

We're all going to have to live with pain eventually anyway.

"Acceptance is the answer to all of my problems today" Paul O. The AA Big Book

Last edited by Gary; 03-27-2011 11:14 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have had spasms in the neck since about 5 months out from my neck dissection. The Physical Torturer said was probably temporary as the nerves were re-connecting but over a year later, they are worse than ever. It is most noticeable laying in bed at night which makes falling asleep fun.

Mark
BOT Squamous cell, stage IIIa

Seth you're 43 , -I am 63, so yes, there are are changes to skin tone, muscle loss, etc., that are a natural and expected part of the aging process. I truly believe that the treatment will age you as well. I will try to address your concerns in the above post:

1. Muscle cramps. Mine didn't in earnest until 2 years out. Up until then I suspect it was more atrophy based from a prolonged convalescence.

2. Ringing in the ears - most likely a result of fluid buildup behind the eardrum. I deal with this 1-2X a year with a course of Prednisone.

3. Arterial blockage. Maybe, maybe not - that is easily tested with a stethoscope or ultrasound. Very few here (if any) have actually had to have stents implanted.

4. Your thyroid TSH levels should be tested every 6 months and there should have been a baseline test pre Tx. It is also somewhat normal for this and other bloodwork numbers to fluctuate a bit and some bloodwork numbers may never be the same as pre Tx. If you had IMRT, it's unlikely that they programmed the beam entry points through the thyroid unless you had really stupid and inexperienced RO's/programmers.

5. Changes in jaw - see item 1.

6. Digestion - who hasn't changed their diet since this? That's a wild card.

7. Dry skin - welcome to winter and HVAC - start using moisterizers. You should be using sunblock EVERY day anyway. Apply the moisterizer immediately after a shower while your skin is still damp. Only use tepid water (never hot) on your face. You might try getting a facial and a consult with an esthetician. I exfoliate several times a week and use a facial scrub, pre-moisterizer.

8. Vision. Mine has done wierd things - it got worse, then improved - go figure. 45 is the age that the optical muscles loose the ability to contract and the typical age for bifocals.

9. You didn't mention your teeth but you had better be taking extraordinary care of them as well.

You're not even a year post Tx yet - What do you expect? It took me 2 years to get back to 85% Patience.

Last edited by Gary; 03-30-2011 03:06 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users