Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#130903 03-08-2011 04:55 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I was on this site with our questions and concerns. Michael is doing relatively well � he has had some cervical issues with osteoporosis, spondlystenosis (sp?), and bone spurs and went through some acupuncture treatments as opposed to having epidural injections the alternative recommended. Acupuncture maybe helped minimally. Recent scare with lump in his neck found by the ENT � had two MRI which were �normal� � great news. That five year date is 12/05/11. He has had on-going dental issues and seen a variety of specialty dentists. Now they want to do one root canal and one extraction so we are looking into hyperbaric treatments. I have read some of the posts, haven�t made it through them all yet on the treatments and glad that they generally seem to indicate favorable results. However, yesterday he had his first consult with the hyperbaric doctor, he went by himself, I usually go with him. Anyway when he got almost done they told him he should start immediately and the cost is $1,800. per treatment for 30 treatments � our insurance would potentially pay 80% leaving us to pay 20% or $10,800. if my math is correct. Is this the usual cost? What is everyone else who has had been paying? We are on the Mississippi Gulf coast so treatment options close by are fairly limited. We are going to another place tomorrow; they wouldn�t give a price quote on the phone. We were both pretty horrified by the cost as well as somewhat concerned about the procedure. Any in-put on average costs would be much appreciated and any positive stories on hyperbaric outcomes also appreciated. Thank you very much

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments are very expensive. Check with your insurance company to see what they will pay. When I did HBO, I was lucky to have excellent insurance where it paid the whole thing. I was only responsible for the weekly doctor co-pay of $15.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thanks for your response, Christine. I have done a bit more reading on the web site about the treatment. The cost was a shock, however. I had previously found the web site http://www.ehow.com/facts_6908361_costs-hyperbaric-chamber-treatment_.html where they talked about much lower costs. Yesterday I called one of the area hospitals that does hyperbaric treatments and they were over $3,000. per treatment. We have talked to our insurance company and we have already met my husband�s deductible for the year and now �only� have to pay $2,500. out of pockets expenses and the insurance company pays 100% instead of 80%. We are going to another area hospital for a consultation today. I just wish he didn�t have to go through it all. It sounds like it is pretty successful with dental issues just expensive and time consuming. Did you have any side effects � visual, hearing or lung problems? Do you know how common they are? I am just such a worrier. Trying to be positive for my husband. Thanks again.

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!

I had my vision affected by HBO. It got progressively worse but soon after I finished treatments it returned to how it was before. One of the most common problems encountered is having trouble clearing my ears. I ended up having to get tubes in my ears. So dont be surprised if this happens and your husband needs tubes. Its outpatient surgery and they will fall out on their own. Overall I benefitted greatly from HBO and would recommend it to anyone facing healing issues. After battling cancer, the side effects and after effects I think you will find HBO will be a very helpful tool for your husband.

I was quoted a price of $700 per session which was inexpensive compared to what you mentioned. This wasnt an issue at all since for me it was covered by insurance.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hello Barbara. I completed 60 HBO treatments on 1/20/2011 for osteoradionecrosis of my right lower jaw. The treatment was very successful according to my Oral Surgeon who is also an MD. I had a pan X-ray on 3/7 and my mouth looks great ~ no holes, no "moth-eaten" bone. ORN does have to be watched carefully as Dr. E described it as a "smoldering burn." A side effect for me was deterioration in my distance vision, but I have a lens prescription that allows me to drive during the day. I am hopeful that my vision will improve to baseline prior to the HBO, but I know there is no guarantee. The cost for my HBO was $2280 per dive and this was covered by insurance since I had met deductible and out of pocket. Physician charges were billed separately. Yes, the treatment is time consuming, but I am very glad that I made the investment. All the best to you and Michael.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.

I had about 8 treatments but they gave me problems and I never received a statement. Christine is the one that had many of those.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OP Offline

Thanks for all the responses. They have been helpful. Just curious EzJim was your problem with the actual hyperbaric treatments or the billing? We went to visit a second hyperbaric treatment center in our area yesterday. The staff was pleasant, facility not the cleanest; men�s room definitely not clean per my husband, parking was difficult. They did appear willing to answer my questions. The only time slot they had available or anticipated having available anytime soon was at 7:00 AM � not my husband�s favorite time. Still couldn�t get a straight answer on what they actually charge per treatment. They needed to get the correct code in order to be able to tell us. I did ask about the major price difference between what I saw on the internet re: a place in FL and our local places and they told me that FL does a lot of �experimental� things with hyperbaric treatment such as trying to treat autism � I did know that they do try to use it for that and they also said that the places in FL don�t always meet the same standards as the hospital based programs. I just wish I knew the way to evaluate the one program vs. another. The first place my husband went seemed cleaner, easier parking, he didn�t like the physician as well, and they wouldn�t commit to an exact price after saying $1,800. per treatment, and they did not give him a tour. Second place not as clean, staff seemed nice, gave us a tour, still no definite price. There is about a 4 mile difference in the distances to them which would add up for the six weeks he will be going. Any magic way to really, really tell which the best place is? I don�t think the price difference is going to be significant, but who knows. Michael hopes to start somewhere on Monday. Thanks again for answering.

Barbara S

My problem was that My ears wouldn't hold the pressure. The ears need to hold a 20 and mine coudn't even hold a 2 or 3. I had to get tubes ut in my ears and then the problem was an insy=tant headache, that was unbearable. We tried it at different times and then I was told I couldn't do the HBO. The Dr that wants to remove my jaw suggested HBO now . After he talked to UPMC's HBO team, he forgot HBO treatments. I sure wish Michael the best during this. My ENT removed the right tube a few months ago but the left one is too bloody to be removed as of now. I'm stuck with the headaches instead of being one for someone else. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OP Offline

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with HBO. I hope that isn't too common of an experience, but sorry it happended to you. I guess everyone is different. My husband is getting stressed just juggling appointments at this point. He almost forget he had a regular follow-up appointment with the oncologist for Monday so now he plans to start HBO on Tuesday. Still waiting for final approval from the insurance company. I hope that won't be a problem. Then there is his pain clinic appointment coming up for the bone spurs and the actual dental appointments.

Barbara S
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Barbara,

The quote you mention is about the same as I was billed here in Atlanta at Emory University Hospital. I had a total of 30 "dives" and all was covered by my insurance but I did see copies of the billing information. Mine were with the single chambers as opposed to the group type which I understand hold up to about 8 patients at a time. I don't know if there is a cost difference between the two types of chambers. When I first went for the consult prior to the treatments I thought to myself that there was no way I could get into that tube! I finally told myself that I really had no choice so I just had to deal with it. Actually, I found that it was no big deal and sort of got to where I enjoyed the 2 hour forced rest and relax period each day. Caught a lot of movies on from their DVD library as well that I had not seen before.

Good luck,

Bill Dozier

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users