Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
WendyG #130406 02-28-2011 04:50 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

ohk. sorry i must have read it wrong.

it definitely must help, being in familiar surrounds with people readily available. i was considering the idea of staying in the hospital if i needed treatment again. part of the daily stress was getting in and back everyday. but i guess i wouldn't know until i tried.. being in the hospital even longer each day would be difficult as well.
yeah, she (mum) was unbelieveable. not sure where i'd be if not for her, plus the rest of my family and mates. i'll talk to her about this site tomorrow. i think she'll enjoy having a look around like you said.

take it easy, i'm really tired so i'm off to bed.
i'll check back tomorrow
cheers,
dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Chances are very slim that your cancer slides will test positive for HPV as it almost always targets the BOT or tonsils. Unfortunately you probably fall into a fairly new group of OC patients that we saw presenting themselves about 3 years ago and that would be people that were young, non smokers, casual drinkers and their cancers begin in the forward part of the tongue, as opposed to the BOT, but are HPV- and their cancers act as aggressively as tobacco related SCC.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
WendyG #130408 02-28-2011 06:08 AM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

No worries Dave! I'ts nice to have the support of people who have or are going through the same illness inspite of where in the mouth/neck the cancer strikes. And thank you for your well wishes..I intend to beat this sucker even though I know some days I will not want to go to get the treatment as I live 75 kms south of Perth which means I have to travel that distance and back for 5 days a weeks x 7 weeks! But, I will finish it!!

And yes, your mum does sound like a legend..this site is wonderful for carers like her. I believe their job is a lot harder than the patients..so here's cheers to all the care givers!

Take care and keep in touch.

Liza

SCC of the Buccal Mucosa (R cheek)- T1N0M0.10 hour Surgery on 27/9/10 involving resection with freeflap from radial forearm..clear margins. Neck dissection..negative nodes.Trachy, NGT, no rad or chemo needed at the time. Neck lump positive for SCC..again! MND 14/2/11. Waiting to have chemo and rads
Lizzy67 #130415 02-28-2011 07:03 AM

Welcome Dave
I am truly amazed at your positive spirit with all you have been through. I think your attitude will carry you to a much quicker recovery than your Dr's expect! My husband also had a feeding tube through his nose for the first month and he hated it too! It actually fell out one day on it's own, very gross looking. So he was happy to get a PEG when the time came to switch. He is still using a PEG as he is having a hard time moving his tongue to control food.

We also live an hour from the closest TX site and I could not imagine driving it each day, that had to be hard. Luckily in the USA we have places called HOPE LODGE where people in treatment can stay for free and also an added bonus is you are living with others going through simular treatments. (You have your own room but share living & kitchen rooms.) In our case there were 6-7 others with tongue cancer so it was a real community of support for my husband and for me his caregiver. I feel it was one of the best decision we made to pack up and move there even though we were far from family and friends. Wondered it you have them in Australia?

Take care. Karen

CG 2 Emmett,7/09 DX SCC rt tongue. T2N1M0, 1 node, marg neg.4/10 PET/CT clear, 9/10 C back. 10/10 Rad hemi, 2 tmrs mod diff. resec flr of mth. Flap 4 nodes/w/ext cap. 11/10 Peg, CX3 HD, 30 rad. 1/31 & 3/21 6/11/11 - PET/CT "activity" 9/11-all Clear. 12/11 peg out. 2/15 still all clear! 9/14 Prostate cancer treated with pencil beam proton therapy, best radiation experience. Keep it in mind as a treatment option for all tumors that can be seen including head and neck.
Karenj #130426 02-28-2011 10:25 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Dave, welcome to OCF! Its always nice to have survivors join. I saw the 1989 and hoped it wasnt for your age. I have a son born the same year. You are so young to have gone thru this. But that also has helped you to get thru the brutal treatments and surgeries a little easier than someone who is elderly (or even my age LOL). Congrats on the clear scan! As you found out, there are several members from Australia here.

Best wishes with your continued recovery!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dave, welcome from California. You're a very tough and brave guy and have absolutely been through hell and come out the other end. I drove myself about 40 minutes to 31 rad treatments and barely made it, so in my book you're already a legend!

I'll keep my positive thoughts flowing across the ocean to you.

David 2

PS the good news: there are a lot of us Davids here at OCF; the name alone confers luck!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

@davidcpa
thanks mate,
i think you're probably right. my 'ulcer' did start close to the tip of my tongue. and my cancer was certainly acting aggressively. i'll talk to my surgeon when i see him next, but i'm confident he's already aware of the results.
cheers,
dave

21 @ diagnosis. Tongue cancer(SCC) non smoker,HPV negative. 11 hour Surgery (30+ glands removed-left side neck dissection, 'jaw split' for 'access'-left side tongue dissection, graft & artery from left thigh for re-construction of tongue.44 rad t'ments.4x cisplatin.no peg.Clear PET scan 12/5/2011!
Lizzy67 #130450 02-28-2011 03:32 PM
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

@ liza
no worries at all. i know you'll find a way to work through the toughest days of treatment. and it will be a huge achievement. you're very strong, to have picked yourself up for a 2nd round.

all the best

i agree with every word referring to the carers. such a tough job. beyond their wildest expectations i'm sure.an emotiional rollercoaster, that's for sure..

thanks again. and good luck! you deserve it.
dave

Karenj #130453 02-28-2011 03:45 PM
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

@karenj
cheers karen! you've been proven right. so far, i've gone beyond doctor's expectations at each visit, and hopefully i can keep that trend going..
the feeding tube is very uncomfortable isn't it! my doc's decided against the 'peg' because of my original 6 week treatment plan. but i'd had chemo, treatment, etc when i got the extra 3 weeks added on. i needed a peg, but got by (just) on the tube. they couldn't add the peg once i'd started treatment apparently. i haven't even seen what a peg looks like or how it works.sorry to hear he's using the peg still to eat. hopefully he strengthens his movement of his tongue soon and he can slowly work up to soft foods again.i consider myself lucky to eating the foods i am now.

the drives were pretty horrible, but it was my mum as my driver each day. she was their throghout everything. i couldn't have gotten their myself. not a chance.. we were offered partly paid hotel accomodation closer by, but at the time we decided to be home each day/night as the best move. if i have to go through treatment again, i'll seriously consider staying nearby though ! i didn't really meet anyone that i know of who also had tongue cancer. and your little community sounded almost ideal for going through treatment.

thanks for your reply and insight. much appreciated
cheers,
dave

"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

@ChristineB
thankyou very much. i've had so many doctors tell me the same thing about being so young. i even once had a guy almost insist that i was a chain smoker, and smoked drugs in my youth. i told him, i'd only ever had one cigarette. i'm not even sure he believed me! luckily, he wasn't playing any part in my treatment. from memory, he was a part of the group giving me my ultrasound during treatment.

you make a good point. i was 21, healthy, active and i found it incredibly hard. by far the toughest thing in my life. i couldn't compare it to anything. but my physical recovery has always been faster than expected and i've got my youth to thank for that.

thankyou very much. the scan results were obviously a huge relief for myself, and all of my 'support crew'. it's good to see some other's on here from australia, but also people on the other side of the world as well. i'm glad i found this site.

cheers christine,
dave

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics