Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#12935 11-23-2007 01:30 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I am so very thankful to Brian and Gary and everyone else on this forum and I am so touched by the emotions and compassion expressed here. THis Thanksgiving has been, for me, the very best ever! I spent it with my son, Paul and his girlfriend and family and friends. It was great sharing a meal and experiences and being able to laugh until the tears came and seeing my son so happy. Without OCF I don't know where we would be and I am reminded every day of the wonderful people here who helped us get thru those difficult days. When I drive along a road that led to the hospital and radiation treatments or past the drugstore where I used to pick up prescriptions or at the grocery store to find broth or soups or Boost, I am reminded of OCF and the friends here that gave me a " boost" and virtually held my hand and gave me the strength to keep going. You have all helped me to appreciate the importance of the "Now" moments and the blessings that come our way.

Brian, thank you so-o-o-o-o much for creating this forum for us, and for all that you do. You are truly awesome!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#12936 11-23-2007 01:20 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ed, thank you for starting this thread to let me have a chance to express my heartfelt gratitude to those (my family, friends, medical professionals) who helped me go through the miseries and hurdles during my battle, without whom I am sure I would not be able to share my feelings right here. Although I have not visited the forum as frequently as before, I always have friends I met here before on my mind and my hat's off to Brian, who has founded such a wonderful forum for people sitting on the same boat to lend a hand and shoulders to one another at times of adversity. The rainbow that appears after the thunderstorm is really beautiful and it is my sincere and genuine wish that all friends who are fighting the disease now are able to see their rainbow soon.

Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#12937 11-23-2007 03:55 PM

As I am reading this thread today, I suddenly realized this is the 10th anniversary of my last radiation treatment. How happy I was. Over at last. No more getting up at 7:00 am to get strapped to a table at 8:30. I slept in as usual. I had arranged this early am schedule so I could continue to work during radiation. Day 9, I went down for the count.

My sister had come up on Thanksgiving with bag of groceries of things she hoped I could eat, most of which were off the menu for another two months, but she tried. Her new boyfriend was taking her to a fine French restaurant, she would order her usual salmon, no sauce (could we swap places please? I think I could find food I can eat). My Thanksgving meal that year was coffee and butter pecan Ensure Plus.

There was no oral cancer foundation to get me through this. I had never even heard of oral cancer before I was diagnosed. I had no idea I was supposed to sick for several weeks after radiation nor did anyone tell me this. My doctors were very positive that that they gotten it under control so I let them worry about a reoccurence rather than me. I was seeing them so often that if there was problem, it would be caught early.

Yes I hit another bump in the road 4 years out which cost me my voice box and am now a total laryngectomee but that didn't alter my life very much. Actually it allowed me to eat more.

I want to thank Brian for this marlvelous web site. Having gone though this twice without any kind of support, I truly know how important this site is to others which is precisely why he founded it.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgving. Chin up, you can do this.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#12938 11-24-2007 03:20 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday, I know I have lots to be thankful for! Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users