Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#129244 02-08-2011 02:39 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello to all!
I remember reading somewhere about using lotion on your neck daily to keep the skin moist. I would like to know a good regimen used by anyone who feels they had a successful one.
All the information here helps me to think ahead and be more proactive. So anything else which would be helpful as I embark on these treatments, please feel free.
I anticipate treatments starting next week...February 17 or thereabouts.

63 years old
Nona to Alora, Emery, Ilyana, Harper, Nolan, & Rory. Yogini since 2012. Namaste.

Diagnosed 10/5/20 Oral Cancer/ RT side of tongue SCC Stage I Partial Glossectomy 10/23/20 Right Neck Dissection 12/4/20 Clear Nodes
BOT SCC 1/18/11 Stage IV N3 M0 HPV+ Port2/18/11
Treatment start 2/22
CISplatin 2rnds, Rads:35 treatments
July 12 doctors' deemed me cancer free-port out July 18.
Non-smoker, was a light-drinker No drinking since diagnosis
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I used a prescription cream called Beta-Val. Some here use aquaphor. I personally didnt like that one.

To use the cream, pat it on ... do NOT rub the very sensitive skin. Put on immediately following radiation. Reapply several times per day. Do not use before going to radiation. I would apply the cream in the car on the way home after tx. After showering, pat the area dry with a towel and then pat on more cream, let it soak in.

Please update your signature. I answered this as if you are going thru radiation. You will need prescription strength cream.

Since you will be starting soon, right now you should be concentrating on eating. Your sense of taste will change for a while so now you need to eat like crazy! You want to go into this strong and without regrets about missing your favorite foods.

Best of luck next week!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I used the Aquaphor , Pure aloe and once a day Eucerin. I seemed to have no problems after A few days. I used it like Christine did. A few times a day but the Eucerin only one time. This cured the dry cracked bloody puss oozing in my neck where the dissection was and on my left cheek. I wish you luck and nothing but the best.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

NonaChris, I used Miaderm, expensive but it really helped. Toward the end when things got bad I went to Silver Sulfadiazine. That stuff has been around awhile but it's very effective for deeper burns.

There's so much other advice I and others can offer, so please fire away with questions. Christine's suggestion to eat is a very good one.

Also: have you seen a dentist? If you're having radiation to the head and neck you'll need a dental exam to determine if any teeth needed to be pulled prophylactically and also to be fitted for fluouride trays.

We're all here to help.

David2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

Thanks for your replies. I have a dental appointment for tomorrow for basically a health clearance. I had just been to the dentist in November. I go twice a year for dental checks and have had good visits for many years. I have heard about the creams. I believe the Silver Sufadiazine was what my husband used when he got his skin/thigh pulled off by a belt sander...yikes!
I am trying to do my best to eat. I know the stress is not helping so I have to go for it. I usually eat very little. I also purchased the Carnation drink, 560 calories. I was thinking it would help to have some experience with it. I have also been given on a temporary basis a Vita mixer which you can basically make a drink out of everything so I will play around with that also.
Dr. Ridge said no surgery...too much damage to the tongue.
No news yet about HPV but doctor's are leaning toward it being a positive.
I will write more about Clinical Trial for HPV positive tumors, it is a national trial. I am choosing not to participate due to the extended time of treatment, and extended chemo.
Better yet here is a link to read more about the trial:http://cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/

Thanks for your help and support.
Christine

63 years old
Nona to Alora, Emery, Ilyana, Harper, Nolan, & Rory. Yogini since 2012. Namaste.

Diagnosed 10/5/20 Oral Cancer/ RT side of tongue SCC Stage I Partial Glossectomy 10/23/20 Right Neck Dissection 12/4/20 Clear Nodes
Treatment start 2/22
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello NonaChris:
I don't remember all the different cremes I was prescribed for my neck, which got so bad it looked like strips of burned bacon peeling off, but the one I remember best, and seemed to help the most, was the Silver Sulfadiazine. I think this creme is used for burn patients. I'd rub a huge amount on my neck and then wrap a towel around it. Today, you can't even tell my neck was in such a horrible condition, so it will get better! Let us know how you do, and prayers headed your way.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi NonaChris,

Everyone reacts differently. My neck burn never got too bad. Sure, it was unsightly, but was minor compared to some other complications I had (like nausea and gag reflex so that I couldn't eat anything solid for a while - vanilla Ensure became my friend). My neck burn was probably the first side-effect to clear up once I was out of active treatment. Perhaps this was in part due to using the cream.

I used the Silver Sulfadizine, but my wife has an allergy to sulfa drugs so we had to be very careful with it.

Eat eat eat! I lost 20 lbs through my treatment, despite every effort to the contrary. I also lost my ability to taste for a while, which makes food very dull. My taste has returned, but my mouth is relatively dry still, which makes eating a chore, depending on what I'm eating.

Good luck!

-Seth

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.
OP Offline

Thanks Stily...you had a challenge there with a possible allergic reaction to the cream for your caretaker.
Thanks for the support.
Stay in touch!
CJW

63 years old

Treatment start 2/22
OP Offline

Thanks for the prayers...I was laying on the CT table having the mask made and I found myself praying and praying. I think that is the only choice for me and I know they work!

63 years old

Treatment start 2/22

I used Radiacare and when the itching started late and in post treatment (do NOT scratch it), a prescription corticosteroid.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users