Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#128983 02-02-2011 11:31 AM
Marci Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, my name is Marci. I am 43 years old and yes I do smoke.

On January 7, during a routine dental cleaning my dentist found, what she called a lesion on left side of my tongue way in the back. She wrote me a referral to see an oral surgeon to evaluate and biopsy if necessary.

When I got home I took a look at the lesion and then all through the mouth. In my opinion this is more of a lump or growth than lesion. It is not ulcerated or discolored. It is in the region where the lingual tonsils are located. It is about the size of a pea. I then also noticed another possible suspicious spot underneath on the left side of the tongue. This one looks like a skin tag.

I found the OCF site as I was looking for pictures of suspicious spots in the mouth. I have read most everything on the site as well as lots and lots of posts under the introduce yourself section, looking for something similar. I am grateful to have found this site and I am in awe of all of you here.

I saw the oral surgeon the following week. He looked at it and stated that it looked to be on the lingual tonsil and could just be swelling of lingual tonsil tissue. Said that it didn�t look angry but that he has biopsied some that looked angry and weren�t cancer and that he has biopsied some that didn�t look angry and it was cancer. Because it is on the lingual tonsil he wanted to wait a week to see if it goes down. He led me to believe that he would biopsy it because he asked if I wanted to stay awake or go to sleep. We agreed to go to sleep because of the location. He stated that it would make his job easier.

I saw the oral surgeon again the next week with the lump still looking the same he said he wanted me to see an ENT because it might save me a surgery.

Two weeks later I saw an ENT. He looked at both spots on my tongue and said he didn�t think they are concerning. He stated the smaller one looked like a skin tag as I thought. He made it clear that he was not giving a 100% answer that it is nothing, but he doesn�t think they are concerning. He stated that he will biopsy them if I want him to and he was willing to do it right then and I waffled. He also stated that it could be a clogged mucous gland?

My reason for waffling is that this is so far back on my tongue I gag when it is touched. I am afraid that I will start gagging during the biopsy. We talked about options to that and he said that he would first attempt it in office no matter what and that only if I could not tolerate it we would do it in another setting.

Most of my immediate family is completely relieved by the ENT stating they are not concerning. My husband still feels that the biopsy is the right course because he wants a definite answer. Because everyone is so relieved at what the doctor said, I also feel like getting the biopsy done is taking it too far.

So here I am looking to all you wonderful people for some information and thoughts on what to do.

Additional information:

Ringing in my left ear for 10 months. ENT is setting up hearing test regarding this. Occasionally I get pressure in the ears with dizziness and nausea with the ear ringing.

Intermittent sore throats that is strange in nature to me. It doesn�t feel as if they are on the surface of my throat, but more inside. When this happens, I can feel the soreness when touching the outside of my throat on the neck. These will last anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days. Happening for about 6 months now.

Intermittent ear pain. Mainly in the right ear. This pain has woken me up in the night as well. ENT says ears look clear. Happening for about 6 months now.

Intermittent Pain under my jaw on the left side. Happening for 2 years. I had a bad infection that landed me in the hosipital for 5 days. It wouldn't respond to oral antibiotics. They did tell me that it was not MRSA in nature but could not figure out what/why it happened. I saw doctors for 7 months following the infection. Drs included medical, Oral surgeon and endodontist.

Thank you,
Marci

Marci #128986 02-02-2011 12:41 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Marci,

You would not be here if you weren't concerned that your doctors have been somewhat dismissive.

Knowing what I know now after being on these boards for 3.5 years, I would encourage you to have the biopsy..perhaps with twilight sedation (you need to insist) to know for sure what you are dealing with.

Even better, schedule a consultation with the Head and Neck Department of a Comprehensive Cancer Center in your area since they see this stuff every day and can probably definitively rule cancer in or out and be able to look for other areas of concern in your oral cavity. Here is a list of CCC''s:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I agree with Deb. You will rest easier if you have it biopsied.

DX 2/10/09; Stage 1 SCC side of tongue; Partial Gloss; PEG in 3/3/09; 3 Cisplatin; 35 IMRT; PEG out 7/17/09; Eating via mouth and walking 3 miles/day 4 wks after treatment end. 50 pound weight loss; Clear PET 09/09 and 09/10
Marci #128989 02-02-2011 12:47 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Marci,

I had a peristant ulcer on the lateral part of my tongue so it's a different location than what you are describing. But, I had two different ENT's tell me not to worry about it. My dentist sent me for a third opinion as he was not satisfied...I went for a third opinion and had a biopsy that revealed a problem....that being said, I would biospy. I would definitely biopsy. Again, I had two different ENT's tell me not to worry.

Age 35
Superficial SCC lateral tongue
HPV(-), nonsmoker
Right lateral tongue resection 1/17/11 w/ Alloderm Graft
Proud mother of 2
Enjoy walking/aerobic kickboxing
Pittsburgh Steelers Fan! (#86)

Hi Marci, Welcome, I would really get a biopsy. Better safe than sorry. I think with cancer the earlier its caught the better the outcome.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

wendys #128997 02-02-2011 02:56 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Get the bio. You really have nothing to loose and so much more to gain.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #129001 02-02-2011 03:48 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

If you have had a sore in your mouth for over 2 weeks and it has not improved then you should have it biopsied. A biopsy is not a big deal. Ive had them done by being put to sleep, with a local numbing and without any numbing at all. It is a quick snip and its done. If I ever have to have another one done, I would do it awake without the numbing shot. To me the shot was worse than the biopsy.

Get the biopsy done, its the only way to tell for sure if its cancer. Oh yeah, hope you are able to use this as a wake up call and quit smoking.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Marci

I am the number one proponent here on OCF about avoiding any surgery if not "absolutely necessary". I'm in the minority here on neck dissections and feeding tubes. Yet I have to tell you to get that biopsy. It is the one and only way to know if it is cancer. So IMO, it's absolutely necessary.
If it's cancer and you don't catch it now, you will never forgive yourself. Many many of us were misdiagnosed originally, hey read the papers about movie stars being told not to worry, until they finally had a biopsy. Plus if the biopsy is negative, they you can quit worrying
Best wishes
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Marci Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I will schedule the biopsy. My main fear is gagging while he is in there. Front part of my tongue would be no problem. Which brings me to one more question. Should I have him biopsy both spots? The small skin tag looking spot is front of the tongue underneath. I will ensure that I post back on the results.

Again, I want to thank you all. Special thanks to David, Christine and Charm. I have read many many of your posts and about your journey with this. You are truely amazing and wonderful.

Christine - I know, I know, I know! I am really struggling with quitting.

Thanks,
Marci

Marci #129058 02-03-2011 07:14 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Marci,

It seems the people who have already posted convinced you to get a biopsy but I can't not reply.

GET A BIOPSY. Don't worry about gagging...they can put you to sleep and you will be none the wiser. I was 27 when I was diagnosed. Like Yvonne, I had what I thought was an ulcer. We tried night guards etc and finally had it biopsied and it was cancer. Please, please, please DO NOT ignore this. Like David said, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I hope they are right and it's nothing. But...a biopsy is the only way to tell for sure. Please let us know how you make out.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics