Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I am assume that this defect has actually healed in and is not an open wound. After all the things that have been done to me I have several similar places in my mouth and back of my throat. Food gets caught in them routinely. For me though it is a simple process of after meals, gargling with water over the sink to remove all this stuff. It's a pain when I am out at functions, but most of the time it is only a small inconvenience. But these defects never return to normal contours. I wouldn't consider a surgical procedure to fill in the defects with something, if they go all the way done to boney structure this could be done with hydroxlapitite particles, which is used both by itself or with autogenous bone graft material and then the tissue laid down over the top to heal. HA has been used for some time to repair boney defects.

If this is after the infection, now some kind of open wound, this is another kind of problem. Radiation does make it harder for tissues to heal, in some cases require 02 therapies to get wound healing and closure.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thank you, Brian.

My crater is more o less healed. It's not an open wound neither bloody but it hurts. I don't know if it going to return to its normal contours with the time. Now it has 1 cm in diameter. For me gargling to remove the food it is not enough and I use a syringe with water. I eat 4 or 5 times per day and this inconvenience could be hard for the rest of my life. I'm 44.

Thank you again.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

It sounds like you are not that far away from treatments, so in the first 2 years I can tell you that I had lots of changes in contours both inside my mouth and throat and the exterior of my neck. So time will tell.

But if this was the worst thing that you had to deal with as a result of your treatments, I suspect you will eventually have a perspective that finds it to be a small price to pay for still being on this side of the grass. 12 years out I have learned to live with the many side effects that used to really bother me. I have reached a place of acceptance.... but it took a long time to get here.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Hello:

Now six months post-radiotherapy and my crater in the tonsil fossa doesn't heal and it hurts. It is like a hole with a white and red soft tissue in the center. The borders are undulated and there is like pocket bags in them.

My doctor said it is necessary to do a biopsy. I'm terrified.

OP Offline

I have made a photo of the lesion, you can see here:

[img:left]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8251/hole2.jpg[/img]

I know it is very difficult the to distinguish between necrosis or recurrente only looking at this picture.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users