Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There is no straightforward answer for this. Sometimes radiation and/or chemo are given in advance of surgery to shrink the tumor and present smaller margins for the surgery.

Radiation, after surgery, can damage the flap if one is in place. It also "bakes" all of the area that has just started healing.

It's really all about having a discussion with the team about the risks and benefits of the different treatment protocols and which one you have the highest degree of confidence in.

I my case, I opted for RT and Chemo based on the consensus of my team with "salvage surgery" as an option if need be.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I did have 2 reoccurences not long after the initial one. Just had the ENT visit a few days ago and he didn't see anything excpet that raw dead jawbone. Thanks all and gotta thank my Angels too.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

What many don't understand about cancers, in general, is that they send out "tentacles" (like an octopus) in search of blood supplies. That's why the clear margin thing is such as issue and clear margins don't absolutely gaurantee that the cancer is totally gone, so in advanced cancers, stage II and up RT and chemo are used as a prophylactic measure.

Most cancers, (like mine) remain asymptomatic, until they become large enough to press against other organs. So pain isn't neccessarily a cancer indicator in itself. More then likely, it's thrush, an infection or some other cause. Which is perfectly plausible considering that the immune system typically crashes post Tx.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

First and foremost...don't beat yourself up about your decisions...it's really pointless as what is is.

I had rads/chemo first to shrink my tumors and then had them surgically removed as well as reconstruction. It's worked out so far for me as I'm still here, but everyone responds differently to treatments and there is no gaurantee that it won't recurr as we've seen many times on these boards. What will be will be and we just have to deal with what comes when it comes.

Anyway, keep your chin up

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users