Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

My mom is getting treated for base of tongue cancer, stage II, with tomotherapy. Tomorrow, she will have completed half of the radiation treatment!

A question about appetite: it's strange, but she is experiencing INCREASED appetite during treatment! her mouth and throat are very sore, and chewing and swollowing has become difficult, she is on pain meds... but she is hungry all the time. she says she has never before felt such hunger -- as if there's a lion in her stomach.

i'm glad she's not losing weight and feeling weak... but i thought most people experience decreased appetite? can there be something wrong? has anyone experienced this? :-/

the radiation oncologist had nothing to say about it during the meeting today. neither good or bad -- he just wouldn't comment on it, and just told her to keep eating. i hope he's not being silent to keep her from worrying...

soo.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Just the opposite of what the overwhelming majority of us experience so BE HAPPY and let's hope it continues throughout her treatment. If she were Eric's mom I would guess she found his stash. lol

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

It's not a decrease in appetite but the lack of being able to eat. LOL A piece of bacon or a greasy burgewr would be a gourmet meal to some of us. I hope this continues for youe Mom.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I can't tell if I am craving FOOD or a taste of some spice or flavor of some sort! Even a little garlic, onion, salt, etc. Went my a Gyro place, wow, that meat and cucumber sauce sounds good. Pizza sounds good, garlic bread, things like that. My loss seems to be more flavors and taste than food...but I can't really tell until I can eat again and find out. :o)

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12

Michele - Flavors and taste seemed to be very important to my son, too especially when he had trouble tasting anything. I remember how he would lean his head very close over the bowl of chicken broth, smelling and breathing in through his nose. At first I thought maybe he was trying to see if I had prepared something that was bad or gone past the expiration date, but when I asked him about it, he said that for him, trying to see how something smelled was very close to being able to taste it and he was just trying to get some sensation of taste back. When the taste did come back, it was weird and not like the normal taste of certain foods with some tasting like "ashes" or the low sodium canned chicken broth tasting way too salty. The day he was able to taste and enjoy a gourmet jelly bean was a highlight and his daughter and I danced around the kitchen for that event! It does get way better! smile

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

hey everyone,

my mom is complaining about the same -- changed taste! she is always hungry, but it's just that her mouth sores are making it difficult to eat... and then when she does manage to eat, it doesn't taste great. :-/

i am just really thankful that she's still feeling hungry. we had a meeting with the RO yesterday, and even he is surprised that she hasn't started losing any weight.

she has just completed week 4 of radiation (2 more weeks left). i know it's different for everyone.... but still, this doesn't seem normal... does the amount of Gy she is receiving influence her condition? maybe her Gy dosage is lower than most people get?

getting the RO to tell us the exact amount of Gys she is getting will be another battle, but i will ask next week.

soo.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

On average we get about 70 gys over a 6 to 7 week period. That would average out to 2 gys a day for 35 Tx's. Usually the 6 week Tx here is 1 a day for 4 days and a double on Friday and the 7 week Tx is one a day so we end up getting 35 rad sessions either way. I would imagine that we get more gys at first as my machine time was longer at first than at the end but that's only a guess on my part.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I have actually read stories in Siemens IMRT website that, in some instances, patients can actually gain weight during Tx.

I can't say that was my experience though.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23