Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124377 11-08-2010 11:39 AM
OP Offline

Hi. I just had a PEG put in 7 days ago - very oogie and scary for me. Especially as I'm allergic to codeine and affected by most opiods and due to liver damage I've had to go with no pain meds. So I can feel every little weird thing. My PEG keeps jumping - like it's burping or a baby is kicking. Is this normal? Why is it happening? It hurts right now because the wound is still healing. Plus the tub tries to pop out so that the round dic is an inch away from my skin - I guess the balloon is holding it in. I've been pushing it back in and puting a bandage over it to keep it down. I'm having a lot of cramping and issues with disguising it under clothing as it's soooo sore. Any advice or kind words out there? Thanks - Julie

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I find that mine does that when I'm hungry. It suctions back and forth, it is very weird, I never thought to ask because I find that it only does it when I'm needing to eat and then once my belly is full, it stops.

You will find that the PEG does ooze stuff out, putting a drainage gauze underneath it helps.

My first G Tube was a long pig tail that I would just tuck it inside my pants and that usually worked. My new one is a mic-key button which I love because there is no tube hanging from me, it's a small circle (about the size of a nickel) flush against my skin.

I'm a little concerned that it's been a week and you still have pain and cramping. It might be a little sore still but it might be something you want to phone your doc about and see what they say.

Good luck!

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i had very similar problems when they changed me over to a saline balloon type, the district nurse replaced the saline after the first few weeks of it "bubbling" with a smaller amount and it fixed it 90% . quite a strange feeling isnt it, although the occasional pinch wasnt so nice.

45 yrs. peg tube jan 07/09 TOTAL GLOSSECTOMY jan 12/09
T3NOscc oral(ex smoker )
open tracheostomy , removed oct 12/09
modified neck dissection lymph nodes I to IV
rectus abdominal flap + full dental removal
30 day radiation treatment ,diagnosed with lung cancer oct 2011

[quote=Juicy Jules] I'm having a lot of cramping and issues with disguising it under clothing as it's soooo sore. Any advice or kind words out there? Thanks - Julie [/quote]

Hey, Julie!

Yeah, I get the cramps, too and made a new post about it, actually (though my PEG is roughly 48 hours old).

Here's what I do to hide it under my clothes (I also use this to assuage my fears of getting it tangled on something when I sleep):

Yknow those really tight spandex-like shirts that SCUBA divers sometimes wear beneath their wetsuits? When my son and I were taking lessons, we picked a couple up, but never wore them. This was largely because, while they look good on well-muscled individuals. With my belly, though, I resembled the dopey mouse in Cinderella and reminded me of the need for several more crunches.

Well, with a PEG, I don't think I'll be doing many ab exercises, and eventually looking good in that shirt will be a much more distant goal. I noticed, however, that if I cut the bottom half of the shirt off, that bottom half provided a sort of cummerbund that I could wear around my middle, keeping the tube and disk up against my skin.

I recently heard of folks cutting up sports bras for the same purpose.

SCC/Tonsil
DX 9/23/2010
Well Differentiated Lymph and Primary Removed 10/2010
Teeth Extraction 10/2010
PEG/Port Surgery 11/2010
Chemo (cisplatin) + rad 11/16/2010 -

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260