Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I went to the first visit at the Cancer Center today. On Wednesday I got for the fitting of the mask and the scan. The next Wednesday they go through the "trial run" and I start my 30 radiation treatments a week from Thursday. I want it done NOW...but then again I am really in NO hurry! If I am going to do it I want it done and over - should be done before Christmas...maybe not feeling great yet, but DONE!

Got my mouth guard and mask today. That wasn't too bad except they had me waiting on a nurse to get the IV started for the CT scan dye...and she poked me 4 times, working on a 5th when I notified them that I wanted UP! I came up out of the mask crying and freaking out...been there almost an hour. I left, drank a bunch of water/tea and went back this afternoon (WITH Ativan) and she got the IV first try, mask and mouthpiece went on fine and CT scan is done. :o)

I think I can do it without the meds next time - at least until it gets painful or I have sticky mucus.

The mouthpiece really bothered me, but once I got the mask on during the fitting I forgot all about the mouth piece! Go figure. :o) Anyway, next Wednesday is the trial run and the next day my 30 treatments start. Might be the longest 30 days of my life...or shortest...depends on how I feel. LOL

Michele in IL

Female - 53 no smoke/drink
tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Radiation started 11/2, ended 12/17
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Geez, usually the CT crew is very good st placing IVs. It's the operating room staff that I have trouble with. If they miss more than once, ask for some else. You don't need newbies practicing on you.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

I had surgery as well as radiation and Cisplatin (once a week for 5 weeks).I did not want and did not have to have a PEG. I drank Carnation Instant Breakfast, Ensure,Boost, Special K Protein, and lots of shakes and water to help stay hydrated and keep my weight up. The most I lost was 10 pounds. I also was able to eat some soft food. It took me awhile to eat each time, but I stayed with it and took my time and was able to get food down. If they give you swallowing exercises to do - do them. I started before radiation started and continued during treatment. I think it helped keep my muscles working. I used baking soda/salt rinses several times per day as instructed. Whatever they told me to do, I did and I think it really helped my mouth. Hang in there and you will come out on the other side.

SCC on right tongue T2N1M0 Non-smoker, non-drinker age 55 female. Partial glossectomy April 2009,July 2009, Jan. 2011, lymph nodes removed, radiation & chemo 2009

I am going to do my level best to keep drinking/eating while doing radiation. I figure if I ate through the pain before surgery I may have a chance of eating through the radiation caused pain. :o) Dr. gave me some exercises for loosening my neck scar and told me about opening my mouth as wide as I can several times a day. I hope the radiation won't tighten the scar too much, too fast. It is TIGHT. Other than turning and bending my head, is there any other way to stretch the scars slightly?

Thanks,
Michele in IL

tongue Biopsy 8/2010
Surgery 9/21 for SCC left side tongue stage II. Prtl removal tongue/left side lymph nodes. All Clear
Lymph node involved left side along with gum involvement 2/9 Fibular flap failed 2/22.
passed away 1/12/12

Michelle,
You might want to get some physical therapy to help with the side effects from the neck dissection and the tighting of the scar. It will also help with the lymph drainage problem. Get a script and referral from your RO or surgeon.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

I didn't have chemo. Just radiation. 35 treatments. I was 250 lbs when dx and 210 at the end. Surg. teeth pulled and radiation. You will make it! I didn't have any tubes during radiation. There is mouth wash to help with the nausea and mouth pain. Take the pain meds! worry about addiction later. food and water are you medications they are just as important as your treatments. Also protein powder is you friend! You'll do great!

Carrie smoker 20 years-quit at 32 Dx at 41 stage 2 SSC tongue-free flap and neck dissection 25 nodes all neg. in May. bottom teeth pulled June. 35 rad tx ended in Aug.
NEVER would have made it. If it weren't for my loving wife!

Thank you both...I think I am going to need physical therapy for the neck - now that the trachea hole has closed it is even stiffer and tighter! Luckily it goes back better than forward so I will be able to lay on the table with my head tipped back for radiation. :O)

What is the nausea from? Pain meds or radiation or? Yes, I have protein powder and will use it with whole milk instead of skim for dieting. I don't even mind the taste of Ensure...but it may not taste all that good during radiation.

I will use pain meds as I need to but I am easily knocked out and don't want to spend the entire 6-8 weeks dead in bed. But...I will do what I need to I guess.

Thanks for the good tips! It just keeps getting closer and closer.

Michele in IL

tongue Biopsy 8/2010
passed away 1/12/12
Nate82 Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hey Michele and everyone!

Off to Radiology this morning for simulation and mask and all that good stuff. Just relaxing and watching saved by the bell right now, I will post my experience via video this afternoon. Thank you all again for your support, wish me luck! Also will talk to them about my recent headaches and earache, just trying to stay positive.

Your Friend,
Nathan

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Good Luck Nate! My boyfriend had 2 of them made, they kinda messed up the first one.? ya so he brought that one home to show me what he had to wear. And when he was done he brought the one they used home with him. He tried to be silly and make a Halloween Mask out of it by putting nails in the top of it(like Hellboy I guess)maybe it was just theraputic for him to do it, cuz when I asked him where it was he said he threw it away. We still do have the first one though. I'm keeping it.

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6