Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Nici #122998 10-12-2010 06:52 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Its so asian to bring food when we travel to other countries!!heehehhe. Everytime i travel, i always bring so much food that i think my friends overseas would like. My luggage allowance is food! heheheh. If your partner can eat then its good to bring it but if he cant then you are just reminding hinm of what he is missing out when you bring the food.

The mucus is normal for people who have gone through radiation. Mine just got better as the days went by. If you type in mucus in the search section, you will find lots of suggestions on how to make it a bit more comfortable for your partner.

I have to say that you are doing a great job of supporting your partner. I found the best support is to have my partner understand my condition and of what i was going through.

This site is also great because it lets you know that there are other people going through the same as you and it provides lots of support.I'm sure your partner will appreciate it.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I didn't realize you could bring food to other countries. Maybe things have changed? When I was on a trip back from Mexico years ago, I had a mango in my purse (because at the time I was pregnant and had an acute mango craving) but the officials looked in my purse and took that mango away from me!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Oooh Anne-Marie
Mango definitely doesn't cross borders too well.

Neither does that smoked duck in the bag of that little 4'9" Asian grandma visiting her daughter, who is standing in front of you in the customs line at 6.30 in the morning. Minh, I travel a lot and as the planes all stopover in Bangkok/Hong Kong/Singapore I KNOW to choose a different line to that little old lady with the duck in her bag.

But on topic ... Nici, my Alex registered himself here, read a few things and then stopped. So now it is up to me to share stories with him. I used to start my conversations with "there is a guy on an oral cancer support forum, close to your age who went through the same crap as you who says ..." and Alex would listen. Now I just say "Such and such had that happen and he/she ..." and Alex pays attention because he knows I am talking about this forum good second hand advice is about to spew forth. I find it good for me as well because when Alex comes up with what he thinks is some weird and wonderful issue, I have already read about it, can immediately relate and make intelligent suggestions which does wonders for my status as a goddess.

Karen

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
klo #123200 10-17-2010 01:15 AM
Nici Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear Minh, thanks a lot you really made me laugh about the Asian travel habits. Guess after living for 20 years in various parts of the Asian continent I can't help it anymore...And Karen can you imagine I even brought mangoes ( dried ones ) though I left the duck at home....
Got here on Wednesday night and was greeted by Avi standing on the terrace waving. Made my heart leap with joy. But very soon I was brought back to reality. His nights are disturbed by terrible headache attacks. I made him sit up which relieves the pain for a while. Even during the day it happens like when he is trying to clean his mouth too strenously. We had a meeting with the docs on Friday after which they decided to do his MRI.It is the first one after the treatment has finished. We got the call from the doctor later yesterday who informed him that 30 percent of the tumour still seems to be there. If cells are alive or not they will establish in further examinations. Unfortunately the next meeting will only be on wednesday next week when I will have returned already.
Is there anyone who also has experienced severe headaches and any suggestions on the primal information given on his MRI? I personnaly have my doubts as the whole area is still very badly infected which I belive comes up in the MRI also?
Nici

Nici #123272 10-19-2010 03:06 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I had headaches when i was trying to hard to do something and I wasn't strong enough yet to do them. For me if i was trying to brush my hair or do something that involved lifting my arms up and looking upward, i would get a headache after a minute or so. Docs just told me to take it easy and try to do things for myself, but if what i was doing caused pain, to not do it.
I am not sure about infections showing up on MRI's or not, but if you don't believe they are accurate, or you want another opinion, get another opinion.
I sometimes wish I got another opinion before I went through my treatment, but I believe my doctors were some of the best in the state because of research my mom did, so I went with what they said to do.
Also, if he's not ready for this, you can look on here and kind of help him through with stories you see on here. I now talk with a woman who went through almost the same thing I did, only a few months after I did. For the most part, I talked with her sister on here, because she couldn't get on here, and I am glad I was able to help her through radiation and still.
Some people can jump on here and share their stories and read others, while others just can't handle it.

I wish you both the best and hopefully if you get a second opinion it doesn't turn out as bad as the first one.
I couldn't imagine having my boyfriend not by my side when I went through my treatment. You are one strong person for being able to do so!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010

I sure agree with Bethers about having your love side by side and giving you a boost when needed. Hell, mine ran like a Cobra was on her tail. LOL I did it all alone and still do. One thing I do get ried of is my friends and neighbors trying to FIX me UP . LOL If it happens it does and if not.... Oh well. Sure not looking tho.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #123289 10-19-2010 08:23 AM

Jim, your friends must care a LOT about you to be trying to "fix you up"! Especially if you put the word out that you are "not interested" - that in itself is a challenge to all the women who will be beating a path to your door to see if they could be the one to change your mind, and to your friends who will be renewing their efforts on your behalf. :-)

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics