Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
penners Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Wow... can't believe it's been 6 months since Teresa's surgery. She met with the oral surgeon today who did a thorough exam and said "there is no evidence of any cancer"! HURRAY!!! He also told her that she had another year and a half to continue to have improvements in saliva and taste issues.

Tese feels like her tongue is huge but actually it is quite normal looking. The flap the surgeon did was from a muscle inside her chest rather than a graft from the arm or leg. Anyone just meeting her would never have any idea that she endured the surgery in Feb and rads through May. She is still having a difficult time accepting the changes (carrying a water bottle, feeling thick tongued, stiff neck, altered taste, ect) but to those of us who are not experiencing it... she had done fantastic!

I want to share her positive experiences and recovery with everyone as so many of the posters have had much more difficulty.

God Bless you all !

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hooray Dodie and Theresa!!! This news has made my day. It gives me so much confidence that my sister will pull through. Thanks so much for the update!!

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!

Hi,

My name is Nathan, I am 27 and recently became a part of the good fight my friends. Needless to say I have never felt so alone and scared in my entire life. I noticed a cold sore on my tongue about 2 months ago and tried treating myself with salt water and peroxide as I did when I was a child. This time it did not go away and only got bigger and a throbbing pain I cannot begin to describe.

As I visited a doctor he diagnosed it as an infection,gave me anti-biotics an sent me on my way, the problem got worse. The next visit he took a culture of the sore and diagnosed it as fungal then sent me on my way. About 5 days later I could barely eat and went in for a biopsy which came back positive as squamous cell. I have no health insurance and no one would touch me with a ten foot pole.

So I basically faked an injury to get into the county ER to have them CAT scan me as well as blood tests and x-ray. Finally after 14 hours a real doctor came in, took another biopsy and said from the look and feel she predicted me as a stage II. My mom has fallen a part as well as my fiance, now I am losing it and have no clue what awaits me. I have smoked and drank consistantly everyday for about 6 years now, I need guidance please before I lose this war. I have been sober 12 days and nicotine free for 9, my appointment for the consultation is tomorrow and I am scared of what they will say. Please, I just need someone Ican talk to, I feel shattered.

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Nathan:

I just wanted to reply that I'm sure many of the forum members who have been on for a while will probably answer you with their experiences/suggestions. You certainly have my thoughts and concerns. Keep posting on your progress, good luck, and prayers coming your way.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dodie, thanks for posting the update on your aunt. I cant believe its been 6 months since she has finished her treatments already. How time flies. Congrats to both of you on her great check up. Im a firm believer of positive thinking. Glad to hear she is doing so well. Mentally, that adjustment takes a long time to sink in. Wishing her continued improvements and good health smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Oh Dodie that is wonderful news. Sorry I am just now seeing this and havent asked you about her. Even though those small things probably seem like huge annoyances to her, they are like badges of honor, from one hell of a war. My mom always told me she'd live any day with water coming out of her nose if it meant she was granted another day on earth (she had her palate removed).

you are gaining your sister back and thats a beautiful thing. hope you live near each other!

my mom, age 59.

12/08 surgery & 33x rad
4/09 recurrence
5/09 surgery & 35x rad
12/09 recurrence
1/10 surgery. peg tube, trach, fibula free flap
6/10 recurrence. double chemo treatments.
8/10/10 finally at peace in heaven

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics