Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119580 07-20-2010 11:42 AM
OP Offline

Dad is into his 4th week of RO and Erbitux treatment and is not doing well!!! I am wigging out pretty bad and am hoping someone here can help! Charm has given me some insight into the rash from the Erbitux and is aware of my problems with it's side effects...however I am having other issues since his violent reaction to the drug last week. On Friday I took Dad(78)to the ER with symptoms of severe burns and swelling in his face and neck from the adverse reaction to the Erbitux. (Thank-you Charm for giving me the inside knowledge of the side effects that you experienced because I was much more knowledgeable than ANY of the Dr's or nurses here in our area.) They gave us some Roxanal and put some 2nd skin on him and then sent us home with a 6 day pack of cortisone. The bad thing is that he is now so full of dementia that he is like a completely different person than he was last week before all this started. Is this side effects of the reaction or is this what I am to expect from now until the end of his treatments? Has anyone out there had the same problems or are we looking at a unique situation? I have not given him the Roxanal since Saturday morning but he is just out of it. (He is in his own Private Idaho!!) I cannot get him to eat or stay awake longer than 15 minutes. He wobbles around like a drunk and can hardly get his head wrapped around what to do with his daily activities...bathing, brushing his teeth etc... So has anyone else had any of these issues? I know his age is a huge factor in all this! But I am scared for him (And myself) and nobody here seems to have any answers...as usual! Oh and by the way...they opted not to give him his Erbitux infusion this week until they can get this reaction under control. So I am also nervous that this is going to delay his healing.
Anyone out there????

Thanks All,
Susan

Primary caregiver to 78 yr.old father w/Oral Cancer
SCC
Tumor found May 2010
Left side back of tongue & up into ear canal opening
Biopsy June 3rd 2010
Diagnosed May 2010
No Surgical Removal (As Yet)
Tx 7 weeks (35 Days) of Radiation & Erbitux infusion 7 weeks to run concurrent w/the radiation

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Maxine, please try to stay calm about your dad. Im so sorry he is going thru such heck. Being a caregiver is a very difficult job. I cant imagine how awful it is to watch someone you love suffer and still you must put on a happy face and try to be positive for them.

It would be a great help if you would add a signature so its easier to get answers to your post. I had to go back to your first posts to understand what was happening with your dad.

You mentioned he is on the fentanyl patch. He could be having a reaction to that. Ask the doctors. Please help us to help you. What meds is your father taking? Please list all of them and it should be easier to figure out what one is causing such problems. There could be some kind of drug interaction that is making your dad have the bad reaction.

Radiation and chemo are not easy to go thru. Unfortunately it will get progressively worse as the weeks go by. Make use of the PEG tube to ensure your dad stays hydrated and gets enough nutrition. If he isnt getting enough calories and water daily, he will feel terrible. I cant stress enough how important this is. I ended up being hospitalized several times due to lack of nutrition and being dehydrated.

I hope Ive been of some help to you. Best of luck.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I know I tried the fentanyl patch and had to stop using it because of how bad it drugged me. I didnt want to do anything but sleep and that was it. That may be why hes wobbling around and doesnt want to do anything but sleep.

Dx Mar 07 with Base Of Tongue Stage IV. IMRT 35x with 3 doses Cysplatin ran concurrent. Tx ended May 31,07. Left and right node involved. Radical neck disection 7/18/07
OP Offline

I don't think it's the patch. He started that about 3 weeks ago and felt really good. I think it is the Xanax that the Dr. prescribed. I think it is way to strong...then mix it up with the patch and it is too much for his little body! I had him stop taking the Xanax this morning and I am already noticing some improvement. He is still tired, but at least he is not as "Loopy" as before. I am uncertain as to how long Xanax takes to get out of your system. Hopefully by tomorrow we will see a marked change!

Primary caregiver to 78 yr.old father w/Oral Cancer
SCC
Tumor found May 2010
Left side back of tongue & up into ear canal opening
Biopsy June 3rd 2010
Diagnosed May 2010
No Surgical Removal (As Yet)
Tx 7 weeks (35 Days) of Radiation & Erbitux infusion 7 weeks to run concurrent w/the radiation

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23