Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113088 02-24-2010 03:57 PM
OP Offline

My mother was a perfectly healthy woman, a non-smoker without any cancer in her family tree. In 2007, I went through a major depression which made her very very sad. She is a very sensitive women, very susceptable to issues dealing with me as I'm her only child. I was telling her everyday that I was feeling suicidal. 2008- she gets cancer. I'm trying avoid the thought that I might be the reason for her cancer but it's always in the back of my mind. I blame myself for it and putting myself into such intense regret. What do you think about stress and cancer?

Mother, 53
SCC of the larynx, stage 1- December 2008
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT shows recurrance, 1 lymph node involvement- August 2009
Partial laryngectomy+neck dissection- Sep 2009
1 cancerous lymph node, 1.5 cm, extra capsular spread.
no other treatments after.
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Whatever the relationship between stress and cancer, my opinion is that there is little if any likelihood that you are the reason for her cancer. Especially in only one year (2007-2008). Such thinking is part and parcel of the confused reasoning of depression. If you would just do the math, you would realize that if worrying about your child caused cancer, virtually every parent would have cancer.
It does not sound to me like you are a parent: I am and have been for over twenty years and trust me when I say that I have worried, worried, worried about my child -but that did not cause my cancer. HPV 16 & my immune system did.
Focus on comforting your mother and being a good caregiver. You are not helping her or yourself with this negative fantasy.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Preference my remarks with I'm not a doctor or anything close to one but I personally feel that stress can diminish the effectiveness of our immune system and to the extent that a virus may cause cancer then it is conceivable that the virus may be able to do it's damage when possibly it wouldn't have been able to without a stressed mental state.

As far as you wanting to take responsibility for your mom's cancer I believe it's just your guilt looking for closure which to me is a positive sign and I would redirect that by telling her (every day for a while if that's what it takes) that you are sorry for any pain/suffering you may have caused her when you were going through a rough period.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

This is what I believe also, constant stress of her daughter feeling suicidal weakened her immune system. I even remember her telling me "this is making me so upset, im gonna get sick". I do tell her that im really sorry as much as I can, but i can't stop crying when i do that. I wish i could take it all back. self loathing is miserable.

Mother, 53
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

As a therapist I work with depression, stress,etc all the time. Do I think stress can affect one's physical health? Yes. Do I think you caused your mom's cancer? NO.
There are people that deal with unbelievable amounts of stress for years and remain healthy. There are people that deal with minimal stress and get sick. And everything in between.

I think cancer does not discriminate and very often it is so hard to make sense of . It affects people of all ages, male, female, all races, ethnic groups,etc. It affects people who have stress and happy go lucky people.

Self loathing is miserable and I feel for you. I very much hope that you are getting help to deal with those feelings. That has to be such a rough way to live.

As a parent,I would never, ever want my kids to feel responsible for my health. I'm guessing your mom feels the same way

Last edited by SusanW; 02-25-2010 07:21 PM.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
SusanW #113173 02-25-2010 06:48 PM
OP Offline

Susan, thank you, thank you, thank you. It's really valuable to hear this from a therapist. Getting those negative thoughts for me is inevitable and I know I'll go back to it but your message will have me sleep peacefuly tonight, that's for sure. Do you suggest I should talk with a therapist? I don't know what's in store for me and my mom, she's my best friend. I don't think I can exist without her. I'm so lost sometimes. The fear of losing her combined with the guilt really gets me down. A history of depression doesn't help either. I'm just wondering where my life went, still hard to believe this is not a nightmare I can wake up from. Sometimes I want to feel distant from her so that I don't get irreversably depressed from whatever might happen. But i think at this stage putting an emotional distance would be cruel to her, because she's my mother and she'd feel it. Plus i dont even think i can feel that way. Sorry i'm rambling here...

Mother, 53
Finished RT- March 2009
PET/CT 12/3/09- CLEAN

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Well,I have to admit to a bias wink but...given everything you have going on right now it might be helpful to talk to someone.

It's like having a case of 'racing car" brain,isn't it? All these thoughts just keeping going round and round really fast.
It can be helpful to have someone help you sort it through and/ or help you to slow it down. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Some extra support might really help.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

[quote=zeynepuygun] I blame myself for it and putting myself into such intense regret. What do you think about stress and cancer? [/quote]

Please have your mother get her Vitamin D levels tested. Low Vitamin D level is closely tied to breast, prostate and colon cancer. It is linked to all type so cancer as well. My level was 22 before I got cancer. Mid range level is closer to 50. The bottom of the range (30ng/ml) is completely outdated. Insist that you get a copy of the test results rather than a phone call where a nurse says "everything is normal".

Brother Dx oral cancer March 23. Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Mod Dif Anterior Floor of Mouth, Peridental Soft Tissue, Right Bony Margin. Lymph Nodes 0/56 Stage II,pT2,pN0 2.8 cm
I was Dx b/cancer 9/2007. IDC Stage2 Grade2 2.4 cm 0/8 Nodes ER+ PR+ Her-2 Rad 33 no chemo.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23