Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

We are back in 27th....but really Rabbit Rescue? I felt better when it was just Freecycle. The wonderful thing is I'm seeing more and more support posts from friends on FB not related to OCF and they are really pumped to see the rankings go up!

Let's go folks, keep voting!

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Eileen

Nope, you did it all for today. But remember, you need to do this each and every day for OCF to have a chance at winning
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Good. Just sent off that email that OCF sent us to a bunch of my family and friends and asked them to post daily and to pass it along. Every little bit helps. Tomorrow I will send to our local civic group and see we can get some more votes.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'll be voting Everyday!!!!

I'll keep reminders out on my fb page so my friends can remember to vote, I only hope that they do!

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

We are now #22!

Catherine

2mm tumor excised 09/23/2008 (floor of mouth)
SCC (superficially invasive, well-differentiated)
Stage 1, T1N0M0
01/2009 and 01/2010 - PET/CT clear
Four and 1/2 years - NED!
"Detection can be easy, treatment is not!"
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I am excited that we are doing so well, but remember this is a month long race. For those of you that have read the Tipping Point, (the bible of how to spread an idea around) you know that it is not the singular act of doing it yourself each day, but the reaching out to other people with large circles of friends, family, co-workers etc. and getting them to partner with us. If you reach a new "hub" person each day it rapidly runs into the tens of thousands of votes as the network expands.

One of my favorite examples in the tipping point book is the example of Paul Revere who you all know rode to warn of the British coming. What most people do not know is that he and 2 other guys rode out to warn people. While the story is told in many fashions, and in a famous poem the details were well distorted, what is true is that Revere got his message to more people than the other two combined. This is because instead of going door to door one person at a time in each town on his route, he rode into each city that he visited and spoke with the one person there who had the most contacts in the city, and then rode on, leaving the detail of door to door delivery to the new "hub" person. This is the beauty of networking and the fastest way to spread an idea ( vote for us)

This is also the premise behind OCF's means to spread oral cancer awareness around the country. Be it about HPV, or annual screenings, the idea is not to tell one person, but to tell those who have huge audiences who will in turn reach many people at one time, until a critical mass is reached. We spend a great deal of time working with/ nurturing, (and seeing that they have the best information) people in the media, with speakers in the dental and hygiene profession that spend time very month lecturing to their peers, and many more examples that are similar. Disciples are the most important people we can develop - they spread the early detection saves lives message like an infection.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Brian, I've read the Tipping Point, required reading in my opinion to anyone doing marketing. Gladwell's approach is what I kind of summed up in my post above on how I'm reaching my circle.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Gladwell's other books are insightful also if you haven't read them. Many applications in both business and life. Doesn't surprise me that you have this on your I read it list... you strike me as the - got to understand the best way to approach it - kinda person.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

RPCV and Eric.... yeah, bunny rescue is ahead of us. Again this is a popularity contest not a measure of what has more social value. As for me everyone knows that I love animals.... they are delicious!

I just had to say that for effect.... For the moans and groans I knew it would elicit. I actually believe that my dog Barkley is sentient. Something people argue against when speaking of animals. But this dog has emotions, empathy in particular when I am sick, he is certainly self aware (one of the core components of an argument on sentience), and aware of his surroundings and his appropriate relationship to the hierarchy of his place in them. His self awareness is really quite developed, and he understands the context of situations he finds himself in, that are occurring in his life. He has hopes, another criteria. (He hopes that his standing by the front door or his empty water bowl will get my attention and elicit the appropriate response.) By these very well established criteria for sentience, which some only attribute to homo sapiens, he measures up. Bunnies? I'm not so sure. Some of my buddies I used to party with?.... also not so sure.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Brian,

I always love you perspective. As someone who has a freezer full of the wild and edible, I especially like bunnies.

We are now #22 and the rabbits are #24. Are we the tortoise?

Now let's try to outrun the horses who are #18!

http://www.refresheverything.com/SAVETHEDELAWARESTATEEQUESTRIANTEAM

Catherine

2mm tumor excised 09/23/2008 (floor of mouth)
SCC (superficially invasive, well-differentiated)
Stage 1, T1N0M0
01/2009 and 01/2010 - PET/CT clear
Four and 1/2 years - NED!
"Detection can be easy, treatment is not!"
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912