Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

MY husband used Cetaphil lotion. He has very fair skin and his skin didn't burn or dry up with the radiation. It is kind of greasy, but really did the job for him. After treatment each day we would put it on every few hours. You can get it over the counter.

Vanessa

Jeff age 49 DX 5/8/09 Tonsil cancer T2N2BMO. Tonsillectomy 5/14/09. TX: Cisplatin 3x's every 21 days w/ 33 Rad concurrent. 2-3 nodes on right neck affected. PEG 7/10/09. Chemo/rad start 6/12/9, TX finished 7/28/09. Extended TX
3 more chemo/Cisplatin/5FU/Docetaxil start 9/11, Clean PET 10/29/09.
Joel B Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I've been using just aloe and aquaphor. It's okay. The doctor said it looks good so since I just have one more week of tx, I'll roll with this.

Thank you all on this site for opining (I always wanted to use that word!). It was very helpful.

Joel

Age 49, HPV 16+ SCC, T1N2bM0, Stage IV R Tonsil, 2 nodes, nonsmoker, lite drinker, 100 mile/wk biker, workout, play hockey, Tx:10/26--12/15/09, IMRT x35 70Gy, no surgery, Cis 1st rnd til some tinnitus loss after day 2, carbo next 3 wks, Peg in 3rd wk;still ate some solids 6th wk. 2012/05 Still Clean
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

That is all that I used too Joel. It worked for me buy as we know, we all are differently made and require different methods of survival modes.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I had neck & chest radiation that produced open bleeding, oozing areas. No cream helped at that point. My perceptive Rad Onc nurses offered Vigilon, a cooling, breathable dressing.I would remove the inner backing of the Vigilon and drape it over my shoulder and neck. It comes in large pieces that can be cut to size. With Vigilon, I needed no pain meds during treatment. The only times I felt pain was when the Vigilon was removed for treatment. Has anyone else used this during radiation?

Hx of stage IV non-oral cancer tx with radiation, chemo & surgery in 2005. Currently a research nurse with National Institutes of Health working on a clinical trial using gene therapy for radiation-induced xerostomia. [email protected]

Linda

I used Vigilon the last month of radation as well as the next month after all radiation treatment. It was a godsend. My wife and I had to really search for it as none of the pharmacies near us carried it nor would even order it. We ended up driving out to a medical supply store.
The creams, lotions, potions etc that other posters swear by here were entirely worthless for my skin. I even used to prominently display it in my signature line, but had to delete it to make room for the cancer coming back a second time and the resultant devastating surgery.
I found that keeping the Vigilon in the refrigerator also added tremendously to the pain killing effects. It took some creative wrapping to keep it on my face but since it came in sheets and you could cut it to any shape with scissors, my wife worked it all out. I needed to change my dressings twice a day. Once when I got up , then take it off for radiation and then put it on again once I got home.
I only wish I had discovered Vigilon months earlier than I did.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I too had the oozing, bleeding face and neck by the time I finished Rads. In addition to the Vigilon, my Docs gave me Silver Sulphodine cream (prescription only) to apply to the burns after radiation treatments were done. It was miraculous in clearing up the burns in about two weeks time. The hint about keeping the Vigilon in the refrigerator is spot on.
I ordered it on line much cheaper than I could find it locally, and in 8-by-8 sheets, which could be cut to the shape of my neck. great stuff!! I ordered it on line from an outfit named Allegro Medical.
They had it cheaper than anyone else I found. Beware, it is expensive, about$7.00 US each for the larger sheets, so if you are changing the dressing twice a day as I had too, the cost can add up quickly. To my mind though, it was worth the cost for the improvement in quality of life it provided.

Good Health,
Chuck

Last edited by ChuckF; 12-30-2009 09:24 AM.

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

When I had radiation for breast cancer the nurse told me that she recommends MedLine SkinRrepair cream to all her radiation patients and had the hopspital pharmacy carry it. When the retail pharmacy in the hospital closed she had the gift shop get it in. I now buy it at a local discount pharmacy and also know that it can be ordered from Walgreens. It is quickly absorbed and non-greasy. I had almost no sunburn affects from the radiation. I now use it for dry skin on my feet and in the winter to prevent "snowflakes" on my armes and legs. My husbnnd likes it better than anything else he has tried for his chronically dry elbows. The surgeon I see for followup on the breast cancer told me to use it on the site of my fibula free flap and my neck after the surgery last year and I have had very good results.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Agree ! The Vigilon really saved me from extensive,debilitating pain. I was able to drive myself 2 hours x2 daily to radiation therapy and even stop at IKEA on the way home as my reward. Although Vigilon is expensive, it may be cheaper that $70 tubes of cream and Duragesic patches. I don't think enough practitioners know about Vigilon and how well it helps people going through radiation.
Thanks.
Linda

Hx of stage IV non-oral cancer tx with radiation, chemo & surgery in 2005. Currently a research nurse with National Institutes of Health working on a clinical trial using gene therapy for radiation-induced xerostomia. [email protected]

I for one never heard of Vigilon until I just read about it here. I will remember that name. Thanks all.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

We were prescribed a bit vat of a cream that had no brand name but was called aqueous cream. it felt like E45. it worked miracles. I did smother Martin's neck with it and he had a fine gauze scarf that he used to stop the clothes collars rubbing. The skin went a bit brown and smelly but when he went in the shower after the treatment had finished and the old skin fell off and there was nice new pink skin underneath.

Girlfriend to Martin 49 years old at diagnosis
Diagnosed with SCC unknown primary June 2008.
Cancer found in single node Stage N2A (3 to 6cm).
Tonsilectomy 16th june, Radical modified neck dissection left side 30th june.
30 TX radiotherapy ended 9th October
First comparative study scan came back clear
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37