Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#107257 11-17-2009 08:22 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

This was sent to me by an OCF member that doesn't come on here very often. I though it was worth sharing. Maybe you've seen it already, but it's worth another read.

LUCKY DOG....

Anyone who has pets will really like this. You'll like it even if you don't and you may even decide you need one!

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named 'Lucky.'

Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy. Inevitably, someone would forget and something would come up missing.

Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's other favorite toys Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer. Something told her she was going to die of this disease....in fact; she was just sure it was fatal.

She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders. The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her...what would happen to Lucky? Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim, he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die, Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought. He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him! The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death.

The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks. Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully, but the little dog just drooped, whining and miserable.

Finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom. Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap.

Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called. It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed.

When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body felt heavy and hot. But panic soon gave way to laughter when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed, with every treasure Lucky owned! While she had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement bringing his beloved mistress all his favorite things in life.

He had covered her with his love.

Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again, walking further and further together every day. It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free. Lucky, he still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

Remember....live every day to the fullest. And never forget....the people who make a difference in our lives are not the ones with the most Credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care for us.

If you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours! Live simply. Love seriously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I have read this before and it is such a wonderful story! Pets are amazing!

Whenever I am really upset or not feeling well, my cats lay in my bed with me and never leave! Unconditional love!

Thanks for sharing Jerry!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!

Our story of a cancer pet is similar. We had a rabbit named Nova, who would sit and lick the tears my wife cried during my first cancer treatment. When I was lying semi conscious on the couch upstairs, my wife would go see Nova and cry about our situation. Nova would tenderly lick up each and every tear of my caregiver wife. Sadly, Nova empathized so much with us that he developed cancer and they do not do chemo nor radiation for rabbits. Nova passed away but not before endearing himself forever in our hearts.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

This story does want me to get a pet. I love animals, but do not have time to take care of then nor do we have a fenced yard. It also brought tears to my eyes which has not been hard to do these last few days. Have not been able to fight them off. I guess I need to go start looking for me a dog, maybe even a hamster. The kids would love the hamster.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

We have 8 cats and 2 dogs. Didn't have the dogs during Tx but one of my cats, my former office mate who retired to our house 8 years ago, either laid on top of my chest or right next to my chest the entire time I was in bed. He would only leave to eat and poop. Sandy is now pushing 19 and has Type II diabetes so he's probably the next one to leave us.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I was never allowed my recliner by myself. As soon as I sit, my dog Sassafras and my wife's dog Katydid are on my lap. Thats about 85 lbs between them.

Flip
No surgery, no PEG
Never smoked
Drink socially (brew my own beer and love wine. A bottle of scotch lasts me a couple of years)
CT 11/4/09 No sign of envolvement in Tonsil or nodes

Our beloved rat terrier passed away shortly after my husband finished his radiation treatments............. gosh I miss our Murphy.

Long time before I even considered another pet.

caregiver to husband
right tonsil stage 3
35 IMRT TX completed 1/5/2007
PET Scan clear 3/07
biopsy 9/07 clear
1st yr PET scan 12/18/07 clear
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My two cat's took turns laying by my side the entire time I was down. One was always there only leaving if the other one was there also.

DX 2/10/09; Stage 1 SCC side of tongue; Partial Gloss; PEG in 3/3/09; 3 Cisplatin; 35 IMRT; PEG out 7/17/09; Eating via mouth and walking 3 miles/day 4 wks after treatment end. 50 pound weight loss; Clear PET 09/09 and 09/10
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

we have 4 dogs; 3 Chinese Pugs and a Chihuahua. While I was recovering from surgery and waiting for rads to start, all four of them sat/laid/slept on the end of the bed, closest to the bedroom door. Any time someone came into the room, they formed a furry "wall" of protection between me and the visitor. They are all friendly, happy-go-lucky little critters, but during that period, more than a few people suffered the attack of the ankle biters.
They were incredibly protective; only one of them would go and eat, or go outside to the bathroom at a time (something they always have done together), the other three stayed on guard. As I began to feel better, they started to relax.
During radiation, the protection resumed, and as I became sicker from the rad side effects, they became more protective the worse things got.
There was so much comfort in having them there with me when I felt so lousy...I can't imagine not having pets..

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

DOGS RULE!!

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics