Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ankurtg Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi folks.

My mother (44) has a small swelling in the lower part of her neck which has been diagnosed as a cancer* on the basis of FNAC, Biopsy, CT-Scan and PET tests. Five years earlier she had developed a pea-sized lump in her palate which, on suspicion of being a cancer, was thoroughly removed by surgery.
While she is to undergo surgery in the neck now (to remove the affected lymph nodes), there is a complication that the CT-Scan, FNAC and PET suggest the presence of cancer in the earlier site also (the palate). A biopsy in the same region, however, reveals no cancer there.

This discrepancy is making us very worried. The operation suggested in case of cancer in the mouth is going to be highly invasive probably involving removal of bone and installation of metal-plates. We wish to cling to any hope that this could be avoided. My mother finds surgery very traumatic.

It would be very helpful if someone could give a professional opinion on what could be causing this discrepancy, or even share a related experience.

Thanks,

Ankur.

More information:
* I am not sure of the exact type of cancer, though I read the word Adenocarcinoma in one report. Metastasis is Low grade everywhere.
* She has had a hysterectomy at age 33.
* We are undergoing treatment at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai (India). While the place is held to be in high repute in India, it seems to cater to an overwhelming number of patients and our experience here leaves much to be desired.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Ankur,

My best guess is Squamous Cell Carcinoma but whatever it is it didn't start in the nodes. There was/is a Primary site somewhere in the throat and it's better if they find it before they start any Tx after her Neck Dissection.

Did they mention any plans for radiation or chemo?

Did they mention a Staging for her cancer?

How many nodes do they suspect?

Are they going to do a Radical or Partial neck dissection?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

One thought: Since adenocarcinoma has been mentioned in the doctors' reports -- and assuming the reports mentioned it as a possible or likely finding, not something that has been categorically ruled out -- use the search box (upper right corner of each forum page) to look for postings containing adenocarcinoma.

By clicking on the poster's name, you'll get the link to his/her profile, where you can find his/her e-mail address. There's also a link to send a private message through OCF. You could then contact those who have been diagnosed with it to see if the circumstances in any of their cases were similar to your mother's situation.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
ankurtg Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your replies, David and Leslie.

@David: Of the questions you've asked, the Doctor hasn't given us the answers to any. It's my father who takes her to hospital, for the place is rather packed and they resent large companies. He doesn't even ask explaining that the Doctor knows best and there's nothing we can do knowing these details. Worse, I am unable to convince him of the contrary. Any persuasive arguments you could offer?

As of now, all I understand is that there isn't any intention of chemotherapy. They are relying largely on surgery, using radiation to perhaps mitigate it. They wish to resolve the conflict by performing another biopsy at the time of Neck dissection, and operating on it immediately if conclusive evidence is found. I'm not sure how bad neck-dissection is (I fear it's quite bad) and the other surgery scares me much more, knowing that my mother finds even a tooth-extraction traumatic.

@Leslie: Good idea. Trying it out now.

Thanks again, and good health to all.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

[quote=ankurtg]Worse, I am unable to convince him of the contrary. Any persuasive arguments you could offer?

[/quote]

Use me as an example of trusting the doctor until I was ready to just let myself die when my blood pressure and fluids had been neglected to the point where I had an event that was close to a halucination.

He needs to take what you learn here and write down the questions and follow up with the docs. They are too busy to have your mom top of mind every moment and things will slip unless someone is there to help her and her self advocacy.

I knpw this first hand because I had people that didn't like hospitals and they took me to appointments and left to come back after them to take me home. I was alone the whole time thru surgery decisions and Txs. I nearly lost it all. and had started to lose faith in my medical team.

Last edited by hisnibs; 10-19-2009 12:48 AM.

Age 52, T2 N0 M0 SCC of left anterior floor of mouth. Esophagoscopy, Direct laryngoscopy, Resection of left anterior FOM lesion w/ lateral tongue. left selective neck dissection levels I-IV. 5x6cm skin graft coverng excision. Finished 33-35 rad Tx. False recurrence 12-22-10 last surgery 2-15-10

I g=had the neck dissections, the halucinations and all that goes with ther package. The worse is the halucinations that are on their own. Don't listen to anyone that says your personality changed. I was convinced today that I was just a patient and not any smart ass as some have tried to tell me. But to them it is a possibilty thst I can;t dispute. Good luck with whatever youdo ankurtg. I have you all in my prayewrs. Jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie, saskychris
13,185 Registered Users