Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CKE Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey Everyone

I haven't been here in a long time. I did a search but could not find the answer/s I was looking for.

I am 5 years post surgery this Oct 8th. I had been getting my teeth cleaned by my old dentist for the first 3 years after surgery. Long story short, he retired and I did not get along with the new dentist. In that time, my teeth have gotten VERY sensitive. I can't even let the dentist touch my teeth with the pic to clean them. My teeth continue to get in worse shape and I have an appointment with a oral surgeon(who did a small surgery after my original surgery to free up my frenulum that was pulling on my lip) to clean them. This is a very costly procedure, lots of freezing and cleaning.
Here is my question, is dentures the end result regardless of how well I take care of my teeth. I had perfect teeth, no fillings or cavities before my Cancer, now they seem to be detiorating very fast. I don't want to spend all this money(only patially covered) on specialized cleaning to have the end result the same as if I had just left them and looked into dentures. I am only 30 and I hope to have many years left so this is something I need to take care of now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Did you use the Fluoride trays?

Congrats on being 5 years out BTW.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
CKE Offline OP
OP Offline

I did for awhile, but I found the flouride burnt my mouth. I have tried the Biotene mouthwash and was using that for awhile.

My teeth are just soooo sensitive. I would use sensodyne but that burns my mouth too, seems the biotene is the only toothpaste that I can handle.

Thanks on the congrats....a long road as you know, but it will be nice to be on the other side of 5 years in a month or so!

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Biotene now makes a sensitive version of their enzyme based toothpaste. It has the same active ingredient in it as Sensodyne, while still having low levels of flavorings that burn, and the benefits of the enzymes they add to all their products.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

CKE,
I would have to say No...dentures are not always the end and should not be percieved to be.
If cleaning your teeth makes you too uncomfortable ask about getting freezing for the appointment...this is not uncommon and I actually suggest it to many patients who are uncomfortable during hygiene appointments. My rationale is this; an uncomfortable patient is an unhappy patient and it is harder for me or my hygienist to properly remove the calculus and stain from their teeth especially around the gumline and on the root. If they are frozen and do not move and are not uncomfortable then a better job can be done and maybe the gums and bone will respond accordingly and the next time the freezing won't be a necessity.
It is ultimately your choice but please remember one thing, dentures are a replacement for NO TEETH not a replacement for teeth.
It is better to invest in your own rather than let the technology of the "Old wives club" dictate your future oral health.
It is expensive to remove teeth and fabricate upper and lower dentures to immediatly replace them not to mention uncomfortable and life altering.
Let me know if I can be of further assiatance,
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

I wonder what you mean that your teeth are deteriorating? You only mentioned sensitivity and as my colleague Mike has explained, that can be handled easily during a cleaning. You also don't have a signature that tells us whether you had radiation or not and if so, what type, as that would have a bearing on your decision about extractions.

A word to the wise, dentures are never as good as your own teeth.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I am not a dentist, but several dentists have told me that it is common when we age for our gums to shrink down and expose sensitive parts of teeth.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

Pete,

In addition to Periodontal (gum) disease (which is the most common cause of gum recession) age is also a factor as well as improper toothbrushing.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users