Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I was sent a private message that I wish to address publicly.

[quote=messenger]
Are you placing your odds on the fact that the spot on your tongue is nothing and willing to take your chances that you are right in order to get medical insurance that in your own words you cannot afford.
[/quote]
No.

[quote=messenger]
or...
are you certain that it is something and willing to put off treatment and diagnosis until such time that you obtain medical coverage so that it will be covered.
[/quote]
I'm not certain what it is and I want to know. I am not putting things off but exploring my options while monitoring the lump.
[quote=messenger]
I also wonder if you have not given all the signs and symptoms regarding the area in question... is it painful? how long since you first noticed it? has it changed or grown larger? etc. Forgive my intrusion but, Your situation is not the usual situation we usually see on this site.
[/quote]
No pain, I'd probably be less concerned if there was. I noticed it about four days ago. The size is highly variable and depends on how much blood is drawn into the tongue. Right now all I see is a dark splotch and I can't feel the lump either due to its size or non-existence. But if I draw more blood into my tongue the spot will fill becoming hard and larger to about half the size of a pea. This reaction leads me to suspect further it is not OC and I am just wasting everyone's time (but at this point I'm okay with wasting a little time).

The situation and the symptoms do seem to be a little unusual. I went with the worst case scenario and I figured that this board might have seen enough people coming through it that someone would know of another case similar to mine.

[quote=messenger]
Aren't both these situations potentially detrimental to your overall health and well being?
I am just concerned that maybe you haven't thought this through and am not trying to invade your privacy thus the reason why this is a private message.
[/quote]
Yes they are and I have thought this through quite a lot in the four days I've had to consider it. But I am lacking information about possibilites. I'd rather go into this situation informed even to a small degree.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The Hospitals and Dr have to take what you can afford even if it's a $5 bill and you are making an honest effort.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Another thing is that there is no interest on this money either.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Be careful with the hospital bill advice -- The laws may vary widely from state to state.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users