Erbitux is a part mouse, part human drug (chimera)that blocks the growth of new cells, My fingernails, hair, toenails all stopped growing during TX. I did not get the acne rash but it did prevent the skin from growing back from the radiation burns on my face and neck that were extremely painful. Creams, lotions, etc did nothing so I ended up with Vigilon hydrogel dressings that burn victims use. My MO said I had the worst reaction to Erbitux he had ever seen or even read about. Yet I would have taken it again because zero hearing problems, zero liver or kidney issues, very mild nausea. The radiation however was a different story and I had all the usual issues: dry mouth, choking mucous, difficulty swallowing, skin burns etc. Supposedly the worst the reaction to Erbitux, the better it is working. However since the cancer came back, I now wish I had done a chemo combo of Erbitux plus cisplatin or carboplatin. What is worrisome is the recent discovery that for colon cancer, Erbitux only works for 60% of the patients, and is totally worthless for the other 40%. they have a test for the KRAS gene involved but it is not applicable to oral cancer. They do not know if there are similar possibilities of it not working for a large percentage of head and neck cancers but do not think so. Just one more confusing issue in the multitude of choices we face. so bottom line, based solely on my experience, I would not take just Erbitux as chemo but would have it as an addition to one of the platinum based chemos. Interestingly enough, the same MO who is treating me this time decided not to use any Erbitux at all , just carboplatin as he feels I am one of the unlucky ones where the Erbitux is just not effective.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13