My husband was scheduled for 3 rounds of Cisplatin, but after the first one he started having hearing issues and his MO switched him to Erbitux. Knock on wood, so far so good. Treatments and recovery were rough but he has recovered nicely.

Most people switch to Carboplatin if they have hearing issues, but I think my husband's MO switched to the Erbitux because there was a clinical trial going on that my husband was interested in but his tumor was too small to qualify. The trial would have had combined Cisplatin and Erbitux treatments.

The roughest part of the treatments was the Radiation.

The first dose of Cisplatin went fine except for the hearing issue (although I understand subsequent doses can get harder to handle).

On the Erbitux he got the rash, which is both common and can be somewhat uncomfortable, and he experienced extreme sweating...he often had to change clothes 5-6 times a day because he would be drenched in sweat. I don't think that is as common of a side effect.

If you have any more specific questions I would be happy to provide you with more details.

Where is your tumor? If you go to your profile information it is helpful to add details about the location of your cancer and the treatment plan so people can be of more assistance to you.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.