Charm,
The worst part of my entire treatment was the constipation! It even overshadowed the pain. I spent many glorius moments, curled up in a fetal position, on the bathroom floor. So the narcotics are truly a double edged sword. They take away and they also give. I ranked my constipation management a "D-". There are many ways to mitigate the side effects of narcotics, dietary fiber, plenty of hydration, suppositories, stool softeners, laxatives, meds like Reglan, etc. Even prunes are very effective. Fruit based smoothies work well also but anything with fruit may be too acidic to swallow so this is a good time for the PEG or "swish and spit" compound first.

It still amazes me that one can become SO constipated only drinking liquid foods!

As soon as I was able to wean off of the nartotics this, overnight, became a non-issue. Don't stop taking the narcotics too soon however. Pain DOES NOT enhance the healing process.

Last edited by Gary; 01-24-2009 11:00 AM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)