I have an apology to make to you folks on the forum. In my OC journey which started in February of 2006, I have used this site frequently to find great information, get great advice, ideas, etc. But looking back, when I first became 'clear' after my first round of treatment in '06, I basically 'went away'. I guess I didn't 'need' the site any more because I was on my way to recovery.

Then my first recurrence came in summer of '07. I was back on the site, because I needed it. I needed the communication, the information, the input, the support. Then again, after months of surgery and treatment, I was 'clear' again and back on the road to recovery. And once again, I 'went away'....I didn't really need the site.

Now here I am with my second recurrence, and I'm back on the site every day. And I've had a nagging guilt looking back that I've been pretty selfish in my use of the site. I've used it when I've needed it, but where was I when I was in recovery and perhaps others needed me or my input? Where was I for the people who perhaps could have benefitted from my experience or knowledge? I'm realizing that the true benefit of this site is for those of us who have been through so much to be there for others...whether our journey is still in the making or whether we're in the clear for a time (or hopefully, forever). There are so many of you who have been clear and/or in remission for some time, even many years, and you're still here, giving encouragement and input. That's what I should have been doing, and should be doing now.

So I want to apologize to all of you for my own selfishness and commit that I will do a better job of staying connected, to give back to the site in hopes that others may benefit from me just as I have benefitted from others. I owe the site and you folks on it to give back...not just when I'm in need as well, but beyond that.

Thanks to all of you who have been such a huge support in my journey. I hope that I can be a support to others along the way as well.
-Steve

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.