before having surgery to remove the tumor in my sinuses, which entailed removing 1/2 of the upper palate and almost 1/2 of the upper jaw, i had tmj. have had it for years with the normal clicking, soreness when eating anything real chewy etc ...

well, since having the surgery i have noted a lot of problems with my jaw. first thing was i could not open my mouth as wide as before and when i did open it, it would open more on the side that did not have surgery which caused a lopsided opening. i also noted when i was able to start eating more that my cheeks and jaw would get real sore tired feeling from it and then i noted my ear started feeling stuffed and my hearing was impaired on that side.

well today i finally found info online that described exactly what i have been experiencing and it says that TMJ causes all of these things and they worsen after surgery - now it kinda makes sense smile if you do surgery on an area that already has problems (esp when you have TMJ and arthritis there anyway) it makes sense that it will develop problems as it goes ... so now i am going to try some therapy methods for tmj and see if that will help the problem

i am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."