while i have not experienced this, i do know any changes in the healing process take time and for some it takes longer than others. don't lose hope i am sure it is not permanent.

encourage him to work on it as best he can, but don't be hard on him and then speak with the doctors if there are things he can do to help or if there is therapy available at some point to help speed things along, but after only 10 days i would not be worried

... i am 3+ weeks post surgery that did not involve such a drastic measure and I am still slowly able to do more and more ... there is something about surgery in the mouth that is worse than surgery elsewhere ... this is the source of eating speaking and breathing so it is scarier and harder to have the courage to try things because so much is involved... so encourage him and then give him a chance to heal.

it is so hard watching those we love going thru stuff like this. hang in there - you are a trooper looking out for him and searching out the help for him. this is a great place to come anytime you have a question or are worried or scared - stop by and let us know and someone will always be there to be of help or cheer as best we can.

i am sure someone with knowledge in this area will also stop in to give info from experience

be blessed

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."