Leslie,
One place on this forum I found to be a valuable source of information is the following:

Go to the main Forum List.
Go to the last topic "Getting through it project" and click on it
Go to the 5th topic down "Draft Copy" and click on it.
At the top will be a link "GTI draft copy, click on it.

Something that will be helpful to others who will post answers to your questions is for you to put in your signature a description and stage of your husbands cancer, what type of treatment/how many he is having, when did he start treatment. Take a look at what others have posted in there signature.

Base on my experience and what I have read, the symptoms such as sore mouth and excess moucus will start around the 4th/5th week.
What is really important now is to keep the nutrition and hydration up. My doctors instructed me to take in at least 2,600 calories and drink 48 oz of water a day. This is very important to the healing process. When I could not take food in by mouth I was pouring 6 cans a day (2 per feeding) of Carnation instant breakfast VHC (560 calories per can) drinks down my peg tube a day. The nutrionist at the hospital ordered these for me and charged it to my insurance. It was delivered to my house.

If he is on a lot of pain medication, make sure he is taking a stool softener to prevent constipation.

I took Cisplatin and 5fu for my chemo at the first and fouth week of my treatment in which I was in the hospital for 5 days each on a 96 hour drip. Everyones treatment can be different.

Keep posting all your questions and comments. There is a great support group on here that will help.

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07