On Tuesday April 29th I went in for a PET scan which was ordered by my RO for no specific reason, just a check up. My ENT said he wasn't going to order any scans and just follow me clinically. On Tuesday May 6th I had my appointment with my ENT and he reviewed the results of the PET scan. At my last PET scan which was at 12 weeks post treatment I had two areas of uptake on my tongue and one in a node on my neck. At that time he biopsied one area on my tongue and it came back negative. Now for the current results. One uptake on my tongue decreased from an SUV of 7.5 to 3.7. The other uptake on my tongue decreased from an SUV of 5.2 to 3.4. The uptake in my node decreased from an SUV of 2.9 to 1.6. So all of my uptakes decreased. I was hoping for an all clear. My ENT was not overly concerned and still wanted to watch it clinically. I meet with him again in 6 weeks.

With me being 8 months out from treatment, is it normal to still have uptake activity? Is the healing process still going on inside from the chemo and radiation? Otherwise I am feeling great. A couple of months ago I started running and now I am up to 3 times a week at 4 miles a run. Could this contribute to the uptake activity?

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07