Michelle:

When I was at your husbands level of treatment, I could barely get anything down. Im surprised your husband can eat pickles and salt. Luckily I had a PEG tube. My mouth was just starting on the sores which would last another 2 1/2 months. I started drinking yoo-hoo for its vitamins and thats one thing I could taste. I also drank McDonalds sweet tea. My doctor told me that 2000 calories is the bare minimum to take in. While going thru this you should shoot for 2500-3000 calories per day. My doc said it takes alot of extra calories to fight cancer.

If you can push the calories and fluids now, the more the better. If you havent already, start using ensure, boost, or carnation vhc drinks. He needs to eat like crazy now, cuz when it really kicks in and hits him, he wont be eating much for a while. Each week will soon get progressively worse for your husband. Hang in there. Just when you think it is the worst it can be, things will improve.

Im sorry if I havent given you very good news. Im hoping that your husband doesnt have a hard time of it. Its a very rough fight, but also a necessary one too.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma