I am curious as to what all of you were told about ingesting alcohol. Neither my surgeon nor radiologist mentioned it at all to me and it was only reading on the internet that there was some strong suggestions that I should not have any alcohol in view of oral cancer history. I mentioned it to the Doctors & they both felt that the occassional drink was okay, both stating that none of us "live in a bubble" to firmly establish why I got the cancer. I however, do attribute it to the fact that I was a pack a day smoker for years.

I was also a social drinker, and in the last few years I have limited myself to about one drink a month, but I will admit it is something that I miss - especially when you go out to the bar with friends, special occassions, etc. I am not now, nor was I ever anywhere close to being an alcoholic so my concern about drinking relates to whether alcohol is a catalyst for oral cancer for me. What have others been told about drinking and what do you do?

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)