John, As far as I know there are NO surgical soultions but talking to your otolaryngology surgeon would be my first suggestion. I have never heard of any procedures that would address this. Currently after being treated 10 years ago my throat has ceased functioning and currently I am in the same position as you only able to swallow thin liquids. Prior to this for 9.5 years I was eating almost everything without to much trouble aside from washing it down with lots of water or liquid. The other suggestion is try to swallow other things and do not give up. The basic function of the throat is all nerve and muscle so pushing these to the limit everyday may help and do as many swallow exercises as you can to strengthen the function too. The best to you if your interested in talking about this live let me know I am available.

Jim W. DX and treated May 1997 stage 4 tonsil cancer 40 radiation 2X daily at the same time 8 weeks IV chemo cocktail 5 types on 5 days off 2 days refuesed neck resection. 10 years clear now swallow function ceased May 07 after pneumonia.