Hi Tom,
Like you, I had no surgery. I had 2 Cisplatin infusions and the maximum amount of radiation including the boost but had 35 fractions (rather than 60 - I take it you were getting 2 a day?). I have regained my sense of taste, salivary function etc., swallowing is as close to normal as I can remember. They seem a little surprised everytime they ask me about my taste buds and I tell them that everything tastes pretty much as it did. I did have IMRT so I suspect that played a role. I never had problems with sense of smell. The taste buds started to return to normal a few months after radiation ended. It took 6 months+ for full recovery. Salivary function took a year and a half. I haven't had problems with nueropathy. Some chemo cocktails can exacerbate that I am told.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)