The mouth is still changing and healing. This is not just a function of the frailness of the tissues, but there are actual differences in dimensions as the swelling goes down, even though this may not be visible to the naked eye. If you built a bridge for instance that had great esthetics now, it might actually leave a space under the pontics (false teeth portion) after the total healing has taken place. Placement of implants in the bone would be a function of seeing that the blood supply in the bone was adequate to allow osteointegration of the implants, and as a matter of routine they like to wait about 18 months before jumping into something like that. But with a partial, which is going to be a tooth born (where the forces of mastication are going to be loaded) appliance, with little soft tissue contact, there are fewer issues. If large areas of it rest on the soft tissues, then it will not fit well in short order as the tissues change under it, and parts of it will have to be relined with new acrylics to fit properly again. Personally given as sore as my mouth was the first year after treatments, I don't think I would have been able to tolerate anything resting on the soft tissues of my mouth.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.