Hi Jen, extractions are to be avoided at all costs. Filings, crowns, etc. are perfectly ok. Make sure to ask the hygenist if they clean below the gum line - much to my susprise I learned that some don't. I take it you have dental trays and are doing flouride at home? Have them give you a flouride treatment everytime you go in (they use much stronger stuff - bring your trays with you).

The only special circumstance is that we have a 10% risk of ORN if we have to have an extraction. Make sure that they know it is imperative that your teeth be perfectly maintained as possible. Any good dentist should be able to accomplish that. I had full mouth x-rays done a year after treatment to insure that nothing was rotting out where I couldn't see it.

Also use the floss that has the candy cane image on it. It's a lot like yarn and very easy on the gums.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)