Another idea to check out is short term disability insurance through your employer. My company recently changed from offering Extended Sick Leave as a benefit to giving additional Paid Days Off to use for vacation or sick.

If we had accumulated sick leave, it is available to us until it runs out. I had the max ESL, used half of it during my treatment last spring. Since I still have 250 hours of ESL, I also signed up for short term disability that has a one year waiting period for preexisting conditions. Should I need more treatment, my ESL should cover me for the one year and short term disability will kick in after that.

Funny thing, I KNOW I am cured... but this little nagging thought at the back of my head is keeping me prepared.

In reference to bankruptcy, it IS different when you are self employed. If you go chapter 7, the trustee can take charge of your business, hire someone to run it, and you could lose it and your income. Definitely speak with an attorney that specializes in bankruptcy.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03