Hi Molly.......Like Brian says, it will be more than weeks, probably months before your sister will begin to feel better. It was a little over a year before I felt really really good; however, at the six month mark I was eating, drinking, and back to my somewhat normal, but still limited routine. At six months fatigue was still an issue for me and yet today, five years later, I still require a nap somedays. A few things that helped with my recovery --everyday, no matter how I felt, I tried to take a little walk. Sometimes it was just to the end of the driveway and back but even then I felt a sense of accomplishment. I also tried to get out of my PJ's and get dressed on a daily basis and this made me look better although some days I still didn't feel any better. I think it helped my kids veiw me as not being so sick, even though I really was. And I spent a good amount of my time just sitting on the deck, outside, breathing in some fresh air. The sun is a natural healer, I think. Your sister will continue to have good days and bad days for a very long time. At this point, my support system really kicked in too, helping with meals, cleaning the house, and caring for my son, Sam, so I didn't have those responsibilities to think about. One of the very hardest things for me to do during my time of recovery was to ask for help with domestic chores and to watch someone else take over because I couldn't do much of anything. Your sister may be feeling a bit helpless and a bit of a burden at this point---try to reassure her that she is neither. Hearing someone say those words to me somehow made me feel a bit better emotionally. This is just such a difficult time, not only for your sister, but for the whole family as well. Cancer truly is a family affair! This bad time will pass and slowly your sister will begin to feel better. It just takes time. Keep us posted on her progress, and I wish you the best during this difficult time. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!