Hi Stephanie,

My husband has been running a daily cycle of fevers, chills and sweats since he started Erbitux 5 treatments ago.

Fevers are frustrating, because even if your medical team thinks there is a chance it could be related to the chemo, they have to take the fevers very seriously because there is a chance it could be something else...and, that something else could be fatal.

They have tried many things to thwart my husband's fevers but nothing seems to work. Even though they don't think he has an infection, they have had him on antibiotics through most of his treatments because of the fevers. Although, his blood counts remain strong.

Our medical team has been watching his cycles and now I don't have to call every time he has a fever. But, I did always follow their instructions to call as I didn't want to ever make the decision on whether he was dealing with an infection or a side effect.

My husband found it very draining. As we are reaching the end of treatments, the fevers/chills are lasting for a much shorter period of time. Although, the sweating has gotten really bad...to the point of him having to change clothes 6 times a day.

Unlike your dad, my husband did not experience headaches.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting your dad's fevers checked out. My husband hated extra lab work or weekend visits to the hospital. But, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Good luck to you and your dad,

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.