Hi Nicki -- my radiation doc told me I was the most complicated patient the rad techs had to deal with, so I take it that 50 minute treatments aren't the norm for head and neck. My first rad treatment back in the winter was just 15 minutes. At that point, I thought it lasted FOREVER. Now, that seems like a breeze...

Just keep telling Tom how great he is going to do. Are they radiating in his mouth, his neck, both? ONe of the things that helped me this time is that they are only radiating my neck. Aside from sunburn skin and some minor swelling, it hasn't been much of anything... I'm still able to eat pretty much normally (except during chemo weeks when food revolts me somewhat)...

Will Tom have access to a radio during rad? I know for me, that made a huge difference and kept my mind distracted. Bring in CDs or books on tape or find a radio station with talk radio, and the time will fly. Since I'm a sports writer, I tried to write columns and stories in my head to pass the time...

WIll definitely keep you guys in my prayers -- you can do it!!!!!

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.