Carol,
I am sure that everyone will have a different experience but here is mine:

Weight pre Tx ~ 170lbs
Weight loss ~ 60 lbs.
Weight bottom ~ 109 lbs.
Currently at 16 months post Tx ~ 145 lbs -a healthy weight for my 5'6" height.

I don't keep track of calories -can't help you there.

Early on I had a lot of Hagen Daz milkshakes (by doctors orders believe it or not) and such to keep the calory levels up. Not any more - calories from 85% butterfat just don't seem like a good idea at this point, not to mention the sugar, although at the time it was necessary. I am far more interested in rebuilding the muscle mass that I lost and minimizing fatigue and muscle pains from "overdoing it".

Since I have been able to eat, I have preferred healthy foods like fruits, vegetables and salads. Low moisture foods don't work well for me and I don't enjoy them in the same way I used to, such as cookies, chips, chocolate, most meats, breads, etc (in other words most of the fattening stuff). This also probably has a moderating influence on the weight gain. I have also found that I can rarely eat all of the food that I get in restaurants for example and the portion sizes I eat in general are much smaller post Tx. I have no swallowing issues so that is not a factor.

I averaged around a pound a week and had various plateaus, like when I hit 140, it stayed there for about a month. It also see-sawed back and forth a bit. I was overweight when I started Tx and don't want to get back to my preTx level.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)